Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this policy limiting students' ability to proclaim their acceptance to college is outrageous?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:09 AM
  • 9 Replies

Students Banned From Sharing News of College Acceptance (Seriously)

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on April 23, 2012 

graduation capsFor many high school students, the culmination of all of their years of hard work (or less than stellar effort) comes in the form of a letter from the colleges of their choice. A thin one sinks hearts, and a fat one has them shrieking to the world that they actually did it. Only if you're a student in New York, there's no shrieking allowed. In fact, students in some prep schools there are flat out banned from even announcing that they got into any college in person or via social media like Facebook. They're also not allowed to wear t-shirts or other gear on which their new school's name or logo is displayed.

Why? Because it might hurt the other students' feelings. I kid you not. The New York Post cites several examples of schools with such policies designed to minimize the pain for students who don't get into the college of their dreams.

I can't imagine a more ridiculous, over-the-top example of the coddling and kid gloves with which kids today are too often treated.

Sarah Tarrant, director of college counseling at Calhoun School, told the paper that students have weekly classes in which they learn “the appropriate way to share news of acceptance. “The weekly conversation reins in kids who might run around yelling, ‘I got in! I got in!’ ” she said.

It's even happening in public schools there.  Darby McHugh, college coordinator at Bronx HS of Science, told the paper:

It can be bad and it can get weird. We send a notice out to all faculty telling them, ‘Please don’t congratulate students in public, no high fives, no hugging, and please be sensitive so that if you see someone crying, you refer them to the college-adviser office immediately.

I'm truly floored and appalled. Students should go around shouting "I got in!" It's what they've worked so hard for all of these years, and they deserve some kudos. If someone else didn't, well, perhaps they should have studied more. Hard work should be rewarded, and no one should have to be afraid to tout their accomplishments out of fear over hurting someone's precious ego.

It's insulting to everyone involved, and it's no way to prepare students for the 'real' world in which they will be passed over for promotions, lose out on jobs, and not always get a bonus as big as their coworkers. That's life. Hopefully, they use those defeats to inspire them to work harder, and push themselves further. If not, then they have no one to blame but themselves. What's next, athletes not being able to announce their victories? Science fairs to ban the display of winning ribbons?

Competition is good for kids, and it's key to a productive society. For schools to mandate which accomplishments students can share and how is beyond overzealous, and seems like on a complete encroachment on freedom of speech.

Do you think this policy limiting students' ability to proclaim their acceptance to college is outrageous?
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
littleacorn
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:12 AM

That's so lame!  In addition to the factors mentioned, how are people supposed to stay in touch with their high school buddies if they can't even say where they're going to be? 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM
3 moms liked this
I rhink this is just more proof yet that our society is completely narcissistic. At sporting events EVERYONE gets a trophy, some don't even score anymore for fear of hurting the losers feelings.

What people fail to understand is they are setting kids up to be completely unprepared to handle disappointment. You are not going to get every job, you probably won't marry your first love, etc. these children will settle for being mediocre because they will have zero drive to achieve anything, believing istead that they are entitled to every goodness life has to offer w/o their working for it.

Conversely we are also teaching the winners poor tools to show their hard work w/o hurting others feelings. They are forced to hide their achievments rather than learn a little thing called TACT.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

sidesplittinglaughter

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I'm sorry that's just stupid. I can't even be polite. LOL

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Oh for pity's sake!  Get real people!   Why shouldn't  we be able to say that we got into college?  

"...Competition is good for kids, and it's key to a productive society. For schools to mandate which accomplishments students can share and how, is beyond overzealous, and seems like on a complete encroachment on freedom of speech."

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 3:36 PM
I agree with KickButtMama!! It's so ridiculous the way kids are coddled now by their hovering parents, and they have no idea how to deal with disappointment. You don't get a job just by showing up at the interview. You don't get a promotion for showing up at work and doing nothing. How will children ever learn the value of hard work if they have no motivation or challenges? If you work hard to get accepted into college, you have every right to be proud of yourself. That might motivate a lazy student to get off their butts and do something.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

ablessedlife
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM
3 moms liked this
I think they should enforce rule that says

STUDENTS WHO DO NOT GET ACCEPTED INTO THE COLLEGE OF THEIR CHOICE MAY NOT SULK, FROWN, CRY, OR APPEAR DOWN-TRODDEN OR UNHAPPY. THEY ARE REQUIRED TO SUCK IT UP AND CONGRATULATE THEIR PEERS AS ANY EXEMPLARY GRADUATE WOULD DO.
Jlee4249
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:19 AM
How can they be restricted from posting it on facebook--- that's their family they're sharing it with. It's not rubbing it in anyone's face when it's on their facebook, since you would haveto seek it out in order to rub it in your own face. That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
I like the pp!!!
SilentDraconia
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM
I love you

Quoting ablessedlife:

I think they should enforce rule that says

STUDENTS WHO DO NOT GET ACCEPTED INTO THE COLLEGE OF THEIR CHOICE MAY NOT SULK, FROWN, CRY, OR APPEAR DOWN-TRODDEN OR UNHAPPY. THEY ARE REQUIRED TO SUCK IT UP AND CONGRATULATE THEIR PEERS AS ANY EXEMPLARY GRADUATE WOULD DO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)