Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Debating about homeschool

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello...My son is 2 1/2 and I keep going back and forth about homeschooling him. I dnt like public school from my own experience..but going to school is how I met all of my friends some lifelong. So this is why I am debating the issue. I dnt want his mommy and daddy to be his only friend especially since he is the only child right now. I dnt know much about home-school starting to research...but he is already learning so much and is ahead of the curve...WHAT R UR THOUGHTS ON THIS. How do your kids socialize and make friends.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:30 AM
Replies (11-15):
awilliams77
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM
My hs kiddos are comfortable in groups of people of differnt ages and stages, and I believe it's because they are hs and not age segregated all day. My girls have participated in dance/gymnastics, girls' clubs. My son goes to karate 2x a week. All 4 of my children have participated in library story times, field trips, and youth group.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

These are really great thoughts, views and comments from these mom's.  :)

I have been to public school and didn't get the "socialization" most people seem to think is synonymous with public school education. I have 7 kids myself now and not a one have been in a public school setting their whole lives. My kids' ages are 16,15,13,11,8,6,3.  They have had more socialization than I could ever have even dreamed of when I was respectfully their ages.  The one thing that is sure to calm/assuage your doubts is this...

Not one public school system teaches children how to relate to adults on any one grade level throughout their school career.

As you and your child(ren) grow together and live your lives, your child(ren) will be interacting with all types and walks of life and learning how to be the type of person they are to be as an adult.  With you and your spouse guiding them along the way, you can be sure your ideals and basic caring, compassionate and moral beliefs are going to be felt by your children more by being around you more than by being away from you at a school building some 8 hours of every day.  So take your doubts and lay them to rest as you and your family live, work and learn and play through the years.   God Bless and Best o' Luck to you on your new adventures with your family.  :) 

penguingirl
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM

My daughter is six and she is currently doing second grade curriculum. She takes dance lessons plus the public school allows her to join the kindergarten class for art and music class. Each of these classes are once a week. We also go to library storytime once a week as well. I also have 15 month old  twins and there are lots of kids in the neighborhood. Plenty of opportunities are out there to make friends that doesn't involve going to school full time.

StrictMomof2
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Okay, this could lead to a very long answer, so I'll do my utter best to keep it short and sweet.

My oldest son went to three different schools and got bullied in all of them to the point that he was begging to be home schooled again. Now he doesn't want it any other way.

My middle child, is a social beaver, but he's also very controlling and honestly could end up being a bully quite easily. So he'll be going to K5 to gain the basics that I may miss teaching him. Then he too will be home schooled. I fear that he may get kicked out of schools because of his bully like behavior. Plus he's also advanced knowledge wise and has extremely low attention spans and is HIPPER!!

I HATED most of my classmates growing up because they never got to know me because I was an odd one since I was dealing with many personal at home issues. I got picked on a lot and they made me feel even more awlful than I already did.

Do I still suffer with social issues?? To some extent I do honestly. However, some of that has to do with the fact that now I've been a SAHM for almost 3 years now. I hear that I'm not alone in that theory.

typingCome check out my blog at http://www.tidbitsofexperience.com/. I'd love to have your feedback there.  Also it lets you know more about me and my family. Hope your having a great day.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM

bump!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)