Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you battle with being a fulltime mum?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been a fulltime mum for just over 3 years, and have felt a huge variety of emotions about it depending on the age of my kids, our financial situation etc. Sometimes I have felt frustrated at not being able to have any power over financial stuff as I don't earn. Soemtimes ISOLATED, undervalued and misunderstood by my working friends who can't understand why I can't be normal and put my kids in a private school and be a hardworking contributor to society.

I would looove to know what problems you guys feel/face, and how you overcome them, if you have/did :) Thanks!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:25 AM
Replies (21-24):
aldmom0408
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this
I def do not feel the same way. I hate being away from my kids. More than that I hate leaving my kids with strangers. My son went to ps for 1st grade and it was awful. It was a horrible feeling having them have so much control over my son. Telling me when I could and couldn't pick up my own child and all their other ridiculous rules... When I am feeling a little overwhelmed all I have to do is go to some place for kids and look at the huge difference in those kids and mine. Reminds me why I do all that I do...
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I agree with you on this. 8) Also, I remember how much I CAN do for my kids being at home. Not working allows me to take care of them when they are sick and when there is something special going on.

Quoting aldmom0408:

I def do not feel the same way. I hate being away from my kids. More than that I hate leaving my kids with strangers. My son went to ps for 1st grade and it was awful. It was a horrible feeling having them have so much control over my son. Telling me when I could and couldn't pick up my own child and all their other ridiculous rules... When I am feeling a little overwhelmed all I have to do is go to some place for kids and look at the huge difference in those kids and mine. Reminds me why I do all that I do...

RealWorldSchool
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM

When the kids were little, we both worked. The kids were in PS. Then 6yrs ago, my husband was laid off. Since one of our kid was having health issues and I had a secure job and made more money, he stayed home and I worked. However as an IT manager, I worked typically 60-80hrs/wk. Then 3yrs ago we had a big re-org and I got laid off as well, which provided us with the opportunity to homeschool. However, in this process, we also had to move in with my mother-in-law as it took my husband 1.5yrs to find a job after I was laid off. So the house is gone and we are filing bankruptcy...but it's just stuff. 

There are days that my mil feels I should be working, I want to work to get us out of her house, and the kids really want their own space. However there are other days where the kids are building memories with grandma they probably would not have if they were not living with her. It's giving me time to deal with my major depression which went untreated for year. 

And I love being with my kids...even if there are days I want to send them down the street to PS as they drive me a little crazy ;D .  Or on the days, I wish I could give them more opportunities with  lessons, sports, etc. But then I have to remember what is really important in life. The key is finding other friends for me to be with, connect with, discuss, etc. so that I can be my best for them. I am not good at this yet ( big part still dealing with my isolation tendencies)  but I do not want to give up these times with them. 

oredeb
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM

thanks luvinhs!!!!

Quoting luvinhs:

Hppy Birthday to oredeb!! 

I struggle with a lot of this too.  My kids are 10. 12., and 14 now, so some of the things I used to struggle with are over now~like not sleeping at night because of getting up with little ones.  Also, I've been blessed with some friends who are also homeschooling Moms, and we manage to visit, and to talk on the phone, so that need for adult conversation is much less intense.  Also, my 14yo is a pretty good conversationalist :)  She and I also like some of the same music, so that's fun :)  Thank goodness all of my kids are out of that pre-school "kiddie music" stage!   So, to Moms with young kids, just know that it DOES get easier in some ways.  Some days, I even find myself missing the days of watching Rollie Pollei Ollie and Bear in the Big Blue House with my kids :)

What I still struggle with though, is that I am always "on the job"~24/7~I am always "on call".  There are always meals to prepare, laundry to do, lessons to teach, and on and on it goes, without ever really having a day "off".  I envy my husbands breaks at work, and off days, and vacation days.  I also struggle with the fact that my husband works very hard to provide for us, and I do very little that brings in any money.  I am unable to drive due to vision issues, so I am limited in the kind of job I could take anyway.  I do serve as our church custodian, but it's a very small church, so it doesn't pay much.  I do wish I could make more of a financial contribution, so that I could take some of that burden off of my husband.   I also have a mil who hates the fact that we homeschool and thinks I should quit being lazy and get a job :)  She's a real ray of sunshine :)

Hang in there, ladies!  It IS worth it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN