Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

And I have quite a few!! But to start... Next year will be the second full year we've been homeschooling and she'll technically be starting 3rd grade. My problem: we pulled her out at semester in 1st and had to bascially start over from K work and up. We mostly succeeded BUT we still struggled with reading. Suddenly out of the blue she has picked it up (thankfully). Now for 2nd grade stuff, we started at the "beginning of the school year" and actually finished everything by Christmas. We weren't using any set curriculum though. We used workbooks that I picked up from the book store, and did supplemental stuff that we found online for everything except social studies and science. For those we used the books from the county and I was far from impressed... It is definitely not set up to be able to use as homeschool material.  For this year my dad was in a really bad accident and we packed up and headed home for 3 months to help out. Needless to say, despite that we got everything done early, we also have had a really hectic time staying ontop of school since we have gotten back. It has been book reports, a few math worksheets here and there, and journal writing on whatever she feels like. I have been busier than all crazy heck and just so flustered I can't sit down and plan for a few weeks at a time like I need to so I can get everything together for her. I know she knows her stuff so I'm not too worried (she may not be able to directly answer a question but she has shown she can apply everything she's learned), but the original plan was to have already start 3rd grade....needless to say, we didn't.
That brings me to the curriculum questions....  I have decided for next year (in case it ges just as hectic and crazy) to use an already set up curriculum so I'm not trying to do everything myself. I would like opinions if anyone has used any of these:

Science:
REAL Science Odyssey and Real Science for Kids (I think thats what it was called)  Odysssey has Earth and Space which are her loves in science so I'm leaning towards it, but the other has physics and that is what she has really been lacking in all science endevours we've made. *I think I figured out what I'm going to do here after speaking with my mother in law. I'll use the REAL Science Odyssey for next year since she loves Earth and Space science, and then next year switch over to Real Science for Kids (if I can find it again lol) so she can dabble a little with the concepts of physics. If I can't find it, we'll move onto Odyssey's Chemistroy program :)   IF ANYONE HAS USED REAL SCIENCE ODYSSEY, OPINIONS ON THE CURRICULUM WOULD BE APPRECIATED :)

Social Studies/History:
I'm really leaning towards History Odyssey. I'm just looking for opinions with this one, and if its not so great, more suggestions. I'm looking for a secular look on everything too. I may scream if its filled with overbearing religious views. If I can "cross it out" of the lesson, that's fine, I just don't want the whole view to be biased that way. (History is my major so I'm really picky lol).
For those who have used this and liked it: Would it be okay to start at ....is it Eearly American??... for this year, so next yr we do Modern and then start with Level 2 after that, or would it still make more sense to start from Ancient?

Math:
Here's where I'm really stuck. We've done a variety of things but it seems like with every program she has a few gaps we'll have to bridge to get her up to par with the program. Choices:
Math U See: I'm just worried with this one because it seems like there are more gaps to bridge, but I'm not entirely sure. We were looking at the Gamma set as Beta seemed to be too much review  *I think I'm leaning more towards this. My neighbor uses this program with her girls as well and hopefully we can make a support system for one another with it then too. I'm going to pick up a few little work books to work with for the rest of this year to try and bridge any of the gaps so she is "out" of the Beta book and we can start in Gamma with hopefully hurdles to jump instead of bridges to cross.  ANY OPINIONS ON THIS PROGRAM WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
Saxon and Horizon. I've seen mixed reviews on these.

Where she is in math: We've introduced multiplication, but not division. We've worked a little on fractions (basically, divide this shape into fourths, then color it so the fraction is 3/4). We haven't done decimals other than with money, but we have added and subtracted money. We haven't ever done area, perimiter, volume, etc. As far as adding and subtracting, she has been doing worksheets where its been up to the ten thousand place values and up to four ...additives... (102589+25103+94520+23410) and subtraction is ten thousands minus ten thousands. I think we have adding and subtracting pretty much down lol.

*I talked with my mother in law, looks like the pros outweighedt he cons with Atelier so that's what we're going for on the art curriculum 

Finally, I was thinking about getting a spelling and reading curriculum since she's still not as strong as I think she could be in reading and I think it is because she is  mixing up some of the general rules with reading and spelling. I was looking at All About Learning Press. The spelling and reading curriculums are separate but correlate with one another.  I've tried just about everything with reading too so this is kinda my last attempt other than just sitting with her and having her read out loud to me for a few hours, which she does not enjoy doing at all. She reads on her own, but since she messes up a lot of words in pronunciations she tends to miss the point of the story and there isn't much in the way of comprehension.  Hooked on Phonics was a waste for us, Star Fall only did so much. The program on Lesson Pathways she got too bored with which made it worse than just sitting and reading. I should also note she is now starting to skype with grandparents where she reads to them, and they have the same book so they can follow along. Our biggest problem is she just gets tired of working with me all day I think, so hopefully this will help :)

Any help would be fantastic. I'm just hoping all the money putting into it will be worth it in the long run. I just have a feeling if we don't get a set curriculum next year will be just as crazy if not worse. We want to start buying everything a little at a time too so it won't cost so much all at once. The sooner I "finalize" what I want the better :)  Thank you.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Replies (11-13):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I thought I'd add this:
http://www.homeschoolart.com/
That is the art program Atelier, in case anyone else is interested in looking into it. It's all DVD based, you can buy the art kit (however most if it is stuff that most people already have, there may be a few exceptions).  Here's from their page:
"

DVD-Based Instruction

Each of our 8 levels includes a full year of visual art instruction on 3 DVDs. Students will build and develop a foundation of skills by learning and working through the essential elements and principles of art including: line, color, space, shape, form, texture, pattern, balance and emphasis. The program also includes art-history, media exploration, creative self-expression, cultural appreciation, right-brain drawing techniques, and much more.
Each DVD lesson shows the materials and work space lay-out, provides visual motivational material, and teaches the lesson. This abundant instructional coverage, as well as that of students in a virtual art class performing the lesson and displaying their finished artwork, consistently produces exceptional student results and learning, independent of the art background of the parent-teacher."
"
Parent’s Manual With Lesson Plans

All DVDs are reinforced by lesson plans which make absolutely clear the objectives, materials, techniques and procedures of each lesson. Also included in this printed material is information on giving an art show, tips and methods, glossary of terms, visiting a museum, artist chronologies, materials list and more."

oredeb
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:40 AM

is this the real science 4 kids your talking about?

http://www.gravitaspublications.com/

if so its fantastic! ive used it for a few years

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I think it might be. The one I found looked like it was three subjects combined though, although pictures and discriptions on third party sites can be misleading. I'm going to look it over more on this site though! Thank you!!!
Do you get the study bundle?

Quoting oredeb:

is this the real science 4 kids your talking about?

http://www.gravitaspublications.com/

if so its fantastic! ive used it for a few years

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN