Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any NY state moms?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM
  • 6 Replies

So September will be my first time as a homeschooler. We live in the Capital District of NY. I am curious are there any moms here who homeschool in NY?

What do you find is your biggest challenge? Does your district give you a hard time? Do the help you with the homeschooling process or are you pretty much left to sink or swim by yourself? 

Does anyone have a sample of what they have done for their 4th graders or 6th graders?

What kind of curriculum did you use? 

For DD I have purchased the 4th grade Rod and Staff books for English, Science, and History/Geography. 

I have Youth Tobacco Prevention Program that is for grades 5-8 which I received for free. 

I am curious if anyone knows the specifics to be taught for 4th grade math. The NY website is very vague. 

Do you have any tips for me as a first time homeschooler?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations on your decision to homeschool!   We live in Queens.

I guess my biggest challenge is keeping it all interesting.  

My district (NYC) is great.  They stay off our backs, give us free Metrocards, and even a guidance counselor to help us with the crazy high school application process.  I think the regulations and our Central Office of Homeschooling are actually an asset.  Having official records helps with high school & college, and we can still homeschool in any way we choose.

I piece together my own curriculum based on the guidelines of the worldbook.com typical-course-of-study.  For 4th-6th grades, I use things like:  Teaching Textbooks Math, Spelling Skills, Spectrum workbooks, Simply Grammar, written narrations, lots of readalouds and independent reading, interesting websites and documentaries, and tons of field trips.  It's all about what works for your child.  We change things around all the time and it's fine.

I have heard Rod & Staff is pretty good.  

The only tip I have is to enjoy the journey.  Make it fun, don't stress so much, get out of the house often, and allow your kids a lot of input into what they'll be learning.  Don't feel tied to one particular method or curriculum.  Check out the Charlotte Mason method.  It includes some fabulous ideas that can be incorporated into any hs style.  I love the idea of oral or written narrations after readings (in lieu of testing), copywork, dictation exercises, history timelines & mapwork, short lessons, and afternoons free.  I also do nature, composer, and artist study.  

Here are general guidelines for 4th-grade math (from worldbook.com):  

Mathematics

* Reading and writing numbers
* Roman numerals to C
* Prime numbers less than 100
* Prime factoring
* Numeration systems
* Subsets
* Decimal and fraction equivalents
* Addition and subtraction facts to 7 places
* Multiplication and division facts to 144
* 1-, 2-, and 3-digit multiplication problems 
* 2- and 3-digit dividend, 1-digit divisor problems
* Meaning of mixed numbers
* Finding simple averages
* Geometric concepts
* Customary and metric measurement
* Time to the second
* Problem-solving methods
* Charts and graphs

Angela

dd(18) Freshman in college, dd(15) Sophomore at the (real) Fame school,                                               ds(11) 5th Grade homeschooler

Visit my Blog

gacgbaker
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats on starting your first year of homeschool!

acrogodess
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Thanks. We're getting some practice already. I've got them reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and they have to write me book reports for each book

Quoting gacgbaker:

Congrats on starting your first year of homeschool!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations on becoming a home schooling family!  You will have a lot of  great times ahead of you and your family.  :)   

acrogodess
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I'm looking forward to it!

Quoting kirbymom:

Congratulations on becoming a home schooling family!  You will have a lot of  great times ahead of you and your family.  :)   

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My tip for you is ..  be patient and know that not everything you may do for your child may work the way you might expect it to.  When, and if, that happens, just be  flexible with whatever curriculum you've chosen.  You may even end up going with another curriculum altogether.   And most of all, Enjoy your time with you child!  :) 

Quoting acrogodess:

I'm looking forward to it!

Quoting kirbymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN