Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

9th grader & homeschooling

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting out this summer with homeschooling my 15 yr old son.  I realized a few weeks ago he isn't where he should be even with going to a special needs private school these last 2 years.  Therefore,  I'm researching how to set a curriculum directed at improving his reading, writing, comprehension and math.  I was floored when I actually saw how he wasn't working on even a 6th grade level in English.  Yes, I've beaten myself up enough! 

My plan is to start reviewing his elementary skills, then proceed forward until I find where his difficulty starts.  Based on your expereince, please suggest software programs, books, internet sites, etc. that you found successul with your children.  His MAP test scores will be in this week and the school IEP counselor has been helpful.

My son is a high functioning autistic child and therefore, I do have to cater to his nat attention span and other little quirks.  Other than that, he is really a sponge and loves school, sports, video games and girls!!

This is a huge challenge but we both are excited about it.  Anything you can share would be so much appreciated.  Now that the dust has settled and the tears have dried, I'm ready to get started!

Thank you,  Gail

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanTheWriter
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

You might try some placement tests to see where he really is, so that you know where to start. Sonlight has a list of online placement tests.

oredeb
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

i dont know much about teach autistic kids, but keeping lessons short?

how bout finding something hes ineterested in  and doing a unit study on it,

get some books at the library and start reading together

when you figure out what level hes at buy  a math and lang. art workbook or testbook and start them

heres an online program we've used khan academy

GHR1952
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Susan & Deb     Those are 2 great online resources.  Thank you so much.  Wish us luck !!  I'm sure I'll be back for more advice as I start this process.   :)

Gail

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck! And don't worry about his English. Older students can usually learn that stuff a lot quicker than the younger ones. 8)

kk1978
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck! :) my stepdaughter was way behind her grade level also. her reading comprehension and math are about a 5th grade level. i found the placement tests online wich helped greatly as i didn't realize on how far behind she was. i gave her placement tests and that helped greatly on figuring out and what she does and doesn't know. in public school she was just getting by with d's and e's. i'm glad we pulled her out to homeschool her so she can get the one on one time to help her:)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I have an Aspie, honestly we got an ipad and a ton of app and let loose the reins and he has flown through learning!
SilentE8
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I have homeschooled my soon to be 9th grader since the middle of 4th grade. We used Sonlight up until now and plan to use C.L.A.S.S. for 9th grade. C.L.A.S.S. had him take an achievement test and then recommended the courses he should take based on his scores. So far they have been wonderful at making recommendations based on his scores, as well as his interests and whether or not he intends to do college or not. They also help parents get their kids closer to their actual grade level. Oh, and my son has some, "quirks," some like those that go with autism, but he has not been diagnosed with it. You will enjoy teaching your son. Blessings and good luck!

GHR1952
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow I'm overwhelmed at the responses! I'm getting excited now about this new path and don't fear it as much. Such great ideas. Thank you again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM

8)

Quoting GHR1952:

Wow I'm overwhelmed at the responses! I'm getting excited now about this new path and don't fear it as much. Such great ideas. Thank you again

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM

My children are now  grown, but I still tutor, and give workshops to home educators and teachers.  I get asked a lot of questions like yours.  So I have created a free web page to answer most of the common ones. How To Home School has several links that should be helpful

Because he is a ninth grader, you may also want to know what is required of college Bound Students

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN