Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9th grader & homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting out this summer with homeschooling my 15 yr old son.  I realized a few weeks ago he isn't where he should be even with going to a special needs private school these last 2 years.  Therefore,  I'm researching how to set a curriculum directed at improving his reading, writing, comprehension and math.  I was floored when I actually saw how he wasn't working on even a 6th grade level in English.  Yes, I've beaten myself up enough! 

My plan is to start reviewing his elementary skills, then proceed forward until I find where his difficulty starts.  Based on your expereince, please suggest software programs, books, internet sites, etc. that you found successul with your children.  His MAP test scores will be in this week and the school IEP counselor has been helpful.

My son is a high functioning autistic child and therefore, I do have to cater to his nat attention span and other little quirks.  Other than that, he is really a sponge and loves school, sports, video games and girls!!

This is a huge challenge but we both are excited about it.  Anything you can share would be so much appreciated.  Now that the dust has settled and the tears have dried, I'm ready to get started!

Thank you,  Gail

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Replies (11-13):
GHR1952
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:04 AM

ipads

Love this idea!!  He is a techie.  Since ipads are expensive I'll look for a grant for LD kids..  maybe thru his school.. words like: free, reduced, used, or borrowed  could be my middle name. :)  Thanks again for the idea.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting GHR1952:

ipads

Love this idea!!  He is a techie.  Since ipads are expensive I'll look for a grant for LD kids..  maybe thru his school.. words like: free, reduced, used, or borrowed  could be my middle name. :)  Thanks again for the idea.

We asked for giftcards at Yule from all our family & friends - that's how we afforded ours. The aps are either free or under $5. And itunes has an app called iTunes U where the kids can take free ecourses from most school districts and universities. Because it is in the ipad it doesn't seem like 'schoolwork' so my kids get super excited to do the work!

And they are FANTASTIC for LD's and visual learners! My kids have apps for everything from learning to play the guitar & violin, to physics, grammar, spelling, even cartoon making! They've learned how to film and edit their own movies, make circuit boards, build robot motors, history, etc. i really can't say how the ipad has revolutionized learning, especially for my own Spec Needs son.

My oldest's fav app is through itunes U - ALICE - which is a computer programming interface designed by Columbia. Tthe program is a free download on the computer and the app teaches you how to use it. My son just finished programming his own video game where a bi-plane races a spaceship on different planets.
GHR1952
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Awesome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)