Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Cottage industries/WAHM

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM
  • 5 Replies

Reading through the comments on the fulltime mom post, a couple of people mentioned that they or their kids had small businesses they ran out of the home.

I'm a writer, so I get paid for that. And I just accepted a part time job as a slush-pile reader for a small publisher, so there's more money coming in.

Do any of you ladies bring in extra income while you're still at home fulltime?

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I run an online retail business selling cloth diapers, accessories, kids toys, etc. it's www.nikkislittlehouse.com
I also do custom embroidery for local companies, and sew lots of things and sell them on hyenacart.com. I haven't had much time to do a lot off sewing lately, but that is my passion. I also mod here on cafemom. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:02 AM

hi susan, i'd love to be able to write! but well its not something im good at!

but for money i sell soap, bread, plants, beaded jewelry, oh yes and im a mod also on here!

when my kids were younger they had businesses, the usual babysitting business, my son had a rolatilling/lawn business, lots of customers, a lot of them were elderly people, and they paided very well!also there were the ones who couldnt afford to spend much so they'd barter with him, 

the kids had a catering business, they made food for various parties, dinnners for birthdays, anniveraries, funerals, picnics, 

they made music cds and sold them

, and they made hersey kiss bouquets and sold them to all the major grocery stores around oregon and some smaller boutiques, and personal customers

even now that they are grown up, they all have normal jobs and they also have a few side jobs they do, oldest does flowers for weddings, funerals, parties, and she paints businesses windows in season. my 2nd dd helps kids that are not doing good in the schools to read better,  my 3rd dd trains horses and teaches kids how to ride, and my son works on peoples cars at his house, so they've  kept on with the cottage industries!

even my husband has his extra money jobs, he guides on the rivers, welds, works on people cars here at home(thats where our son learned) and he sells some of the coffee he roasts

SuprMom12042702
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I am trying to figure out how to do this exact same thing. My husband and I have several ideas, but in this little town we are in, nothing would do anything. So we are notebooking all of our ideas and saving it for when we move to Knoxville. Until then I will continue building and shaping my blog and possibly might even start another one.

nloomis
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Business Among Moms is a great online resource for work at home moms.  It is free to join and gives you a lot of marketing information, support and opportunities to advertise you business for FREE, there are also local groups forming too.

www.businessamongmoms.com, www.fb.com/businessamongmoms

lucsch
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I sell custom made clothing for little girls, newborn photography props, and crochet patterns that I author.

http://www.tiptopapplesauce.com (I mostly sell through my etsy shop tiptopapplesauce)

I don't gross a lot--anywhere from $5,000-$25,000 per year. The economy has taken its toll on my business, though. The first few years, I broke even. I've been doing this for 9 years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)