Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

First grade curriculum for hyper boy

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM
  • 9 Replies
I have an almost six year old who is ADHD and learns best hands on. We used Our Fathers World for K but he flew through it and is bored. Was going to go with them for first grade but want to challenge him. He is reading quite well and can sound out most words with little help but only will read a few sentences and than need to switch activies to avoid frustration. Can you please give me some ideas and what you did or didn't like. Thank you.
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
5BMom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Oak Meadow 2 as a core, maybe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Crap...I had a long response... and my phone at it. DS2has adhd. We started homeschooling at the end of 1st grade...we like...

All About spelling

Math u see

Science books from the library witk "Science in a nutshell" boxes from Delta Education

I can go into more detail later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

oops. sorry. Since I write our own curriculum, all I have are guesstimations.  I have heard that the ones Jynx has suggested are rather good ones.  If your worried about what the adhd will interfere with, you shouldn't. I am add and my husband is adhd, and consequently our kids are either way.  What we have done throughout the years is just keep things short, sweet and to the point.  And behind that we pushed them as far as they needed and wanted.  My kids don't like when their school work is easy either. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:09 AM
I have 2 active learners. We loved using www.time4learning.com until 3rd grade...it didn't seem like learning, instead it seemed like a video game.
SilentE8
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I use Sonlight and my kids all love it. They take an "ecclectic" approach. There are books to read, books the kids read, worksheets, all kinds of suggested hands on activities and projects. I also use Saxon for math, but don't like it as much for K-3rd grade as much as I do for older grades. It is very hands on though, and my DS5 loves all of the math manipulatives. We use A Reason for Handwriting for handwriting. It's not hands on, but the lessons are short enough to keep my kids' attention. We use Sequential Spelling. I write the word on the board, the children look at it and hear me say it. Then they write it and then the double check it is correct. This is the only spelling program that has worked for us.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
All about spelling is great for hands on learners. We did level 1 for first grade and easily could have done level 2 (or more) it worked so well.

Handwriting without tears is also a fun program if you do the little games and songs with it that it has included. Dd was pretty good at handwriting so we skipped a lot of it, but we are doing 2nd grade over the summer, third in the fall and highly recommend it.

I'm looking into the science jinx recommended, and also r.e.a.l science odyssey. Anything with a lot of experiments to keep interest. We did a living books science this year (outdoor secrets) and it was a huge flop.

For history, we used story of the world. Personally, we were bored out of our minds, but also, we didn't do all the activities we could do. You probably could make it a good curriculum, I just struggle with history because I hate it.

We didn't have a reading curriculum, but all about spelling has a reading curriculum tht goes along side it called all about reading. I definitely would have used that if we needed help with reading.

That is alli can think of at the moment...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Oh! We tried drawing with children by Mona brooks for art - I was not a fan. I need something a little more laid out for me. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:28 AM

My children are all grown, but I still tutor and give workshops to home educators and teachers.  Most of the kids I get are diagnosed with ADHD, Here are some tips:

• Use curriculum designed for hands on active learners, or create your own that involves learning wile doing real life experiences.  Total Physical Response involves their brain and body. I like the game/ curriculum  Ring Around the Phonics for Language 'Arts (see next bullet point)
  • Sounds like he needs help with the larger words.  I use the above mentioned game to teach root words, suffixes and prefixes.  It helps them sound out the bigger words faster, and can  teach vocabulary, and spelling at the same time.
  • Make sure he is pronouncing his phonic sounds correctly.  It can really trip a child up.  For example, if he says Du instead of d for the letter d, he will sound out the word daddy as du-a-du-y making it hard to decode words.  
  • I also will give the child short activity breaks when needed.  I have one child that will begin walking around and around his chair as he talks if he is getting antsy.  I ask him if he needs to run around the house once, and he sometimes says, "I need two times."  When he returns, he is all set, and excited  to learn.

I really enjoy the active children, I was one myslf.

lisayvonne
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I'm teaching my daughter reading online. We are using this site beestar. It is curriculum-based from 1st grade to 8th grade. I like the simple presentation: text has nice simple fonts, the pictures and graphs are to the point not distracting and stories are interesting. DD supports this online way and loves to compete on this site with other kids from a lot of other states.

Lisa

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)