Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am considering homeschooling. I would like info and advice!

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:03 AM
  • 12 Replies

Basically my son is in the 1st grade. I had sent him to the school I went to as a child in our county but I didn't like the teacher. She had my son for 3 hrs during orientation and she ignored him and then pulled me aside afterwards and told me he needed to be tested and put in special ed. So I sent him to the school in a different county where my Mom worked. Well she is now retiring, so I am trying to decide what to do with my son now. He is a bit special...not diagnosed with anything specific but he is just extremely smart and extremely unique. We are getting his IQ tested soon.

So my options range from sending him back to our school county (but their academical achievments are lower then the school he is at now), Keep him at the school he is in but drive him too and from (Its about 30 min away) PLUS pay tuition. Send him to a Christian Academy which will cost more and I will still have to drive him but I like the idea of it being Christian based and the smaller class sizes, or homeschool him. WHICH he begs me to do on a weekly basis. What scares me about homeschooling is that I dont want him to fall behind. I will need everything laid out specifically what we need to do and a timeline of when it needs to be done by or I couldn't possibly do it. And looking at like Abeka..I am so overwhelmed by the selection and it looks really expensive. So ladies...any advice or input??

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
First, take a breath :) homeschooling can be very overwhelming because there are so many options!! There are many styles to homeschool and all these different curriculuns. I've never used abeka so I can't Give you advice on that specific one. Homeschooling can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want it to be. For example I get my baseline curriculum for free since I'm going to use www.oldfashionededucation.com as my curriculum. However I'm not using their math, I'm going to purchase "math u see" for my daughter. I'm also purchasing "handwriting without tears" for penmanship. Im altering the curriculum on that site and will be doing unit studies for science/history/social studies.

That was just an example of how you can use different resources as curriculum. I know some people who buy a curriculum set end up wishing they hadnt because it ended up not being right for their child (too boring, too easy, too hard etc).
I would research different methods of homeschooling ;I believe there is a Sticky to a post that explains different methods in this group somewhere, sorry I'm mobile I can't post it).
Good luck!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:10 AM

This is the post that lists several different types of homeschooling: What type of homeschooler are you?

5BMom
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:10 AM
It IS overwhelming! In all honesty, I never looked in depth at Abeka because the site scared me off as a new homeschooler. By the time I was secure enough to wade through it, I knew it was not our learning style. I think, as a previous poster said, it is best to gauge kesrning types before buying anything. A good way to do that is to look at different curriculums that vary. I suggest in addition to Abeka, which is Traditional Christian, that you look at:

Literature Based - www.sonlight.com
Charlotte Mason - www.heartofdakota.com
Classical - www.memoriapress.com
Waldorf Inspired - www.oakmeadow.com
Waldorf - www.christopherus.com

When it comes to whether you CAN do it and do it well, more than likely you can! In fact, you will do it better thsn any school...because you have a vested interestbin your child and they do not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:14 AM
2 moms liked this

You can do this! You know your son better than anyone. 8) Homeschooling looks scary and daunting but it's not once you get into it. 8) I promise you. LOL I am a public school refugee, myself.

Kat1078
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:57 AM

New to home schooling my children myself and have read some books and done a lot of research. The book I am reading right now is "Help for the Harried Homeschooler" by Christine Field. and just read "A Field guide to homeschooling" by Christine M Field also very good books

I can tell you that I am going to go to use saxon or spectrum math, apologia science and abeka every thing else. I got on ebay and amizon and looked for used book sales in my area or in near by areas to get books for my 4 children cheap.

ma2calebzoeyeli
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Get the book by Cathy Duffy called 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. It will walk you through the process to figure out what kind of method/curriculum will best fit you and your child.  Also read The Well Trained Mind.  They also have a forum at www.welltrainedmind.com that is great. You can do it on whatever budget you have, especially for the lower grades as there are tons of free resources online.

TTCourBABY
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful info ladies. Another thing I am extremely concerned about is making sure that we aren't falling behind....how do you ladies do that??

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I couldn't agree more.  :)

Quoting mem82:

You can do this! You know your son better than anyone. 8) Homeschooling looks scary and daunting but it's not once you get into it. 8) I promise you. LOL I am a public school refugee, myself.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Bump!

StrictMomof2
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

We use Connections Academy (the free public version) online and LOVE it. We get materials and lesson plans and even live lectures and teacher support as we need it.

typingCome check out my blog at http://www.tidbitsofexperience.com/. I'd love to have your feedback there.  Also it lets you know more about me and my family. Hope your having a great day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)