Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am considering homeschooling. I would like info and advice!

Posted by   + Show Post

Basically my son is in the 1st grade. I had sent him to the school I went to as a child in our county but I didn't like the teacher. She had my son for 3 hrs during orientation and she ignored him and then pulled me aside afterwards and told me he needed to be tested and put in special ed. So I sent him to the school in a different county where my Mom worked. Well she is now retiring, so I am trying to decide what to do with my son now. He is a bit special...not diagnosed with anything specific but he is just extremely smart and extremely unique. We are getting his IQ tested soon.

So my options range from sending him back to our school county (but their academical achievments are lower then the school he is at now), Keep him at the school he is in but drive him too and from (Its about 30 min away) PLUS pay tuition. Send him to a Christian Academy which will cost more and I will still have to drive him but I like the idea of it being Christian based and the smaller class sizes, or homeschool him. WHICH he begs me to do on a weekly basis. What scares me about homeschooling is that I dont want him to fall behind. I will need everything laid out specifically what we need to do and a timeline of when it needs to be done by or I couldn't possibly do it. And looking at like Abeka..I am so overwhelmed by the selection and it looks really expensive. So ladies...any advice or input??

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Replies (11-12):
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:48 AM

The fact that you feel scared and overwhelmed tells me you will do just fine as a home educator.  When one cares that much, the rest can be learned. 

• It is important to know your State Laws,.  Here is an article with that information and much more:  How To Home School  
  • He sounds like he might be an analytical personality.  Does this video describe him?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Honestly, i think it is nearly impossible to fall behind. So much of PS is about busy work so those struggling can catch up, and we don't have to worry about that. I generally research state standards to get an idea od what the expectations are for each grade (and am usually disgusted at the low expectations) and i just make a spreadsheet so i can be sure we have covered everything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN