Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you going to plan out a budget for next year?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:16 AM
  • 11 Replies

Or do you go with, it's going to cost hoowever much it's going to cost, and that's that?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littleacorn
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM
It's going to cost what I can find to spend at the time. We live paycheck to paycheck, so I kind of just have to sneak a little in here and there if I want to spend anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Now that I have my new part-time job, I'll be using that as my homeschool money. I'll have to budget to stay within my means.

It's easier since I'm writing two of our curricula myself. The math that I'm considering is expensive, though. Eep! To say nothing of science and the labs we'll need.

oredeb
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

no budget for hsing, i usually only spend about 50-100 dollars

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM
We just go with what will work for us, and get it as cheap as possible. We do rule things out because of price though. I'd really like a few different science and math programs but can't spend that much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Maybe you could sell your curriculm once you wrote it? Lots of people do. They plan out the lessons, type it out and sell it on their blog. 8)

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Now that I have my new part-time job, I'll be using that as my homeschool money. I'll have to budget to stay within my means.

It's easier since I'm writing two of our curricula myself. The math that I'm considering is expensive, though. Eep! To say nothing of science and the labs we'll need.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I know how living that way can be. 8)

Quoting littleacorn:

It's going to cost what I can find to spend at the time. We live paycheck to paycheck, so I kind of just have to sneak a little in here and there if I want to spend anything.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting oredeb:

no budget for hsing, i usually only spend about 50-100 dollars

Same here. If we want something expensive - like a science kit- we ask for it for birthdays or holidays. OR i offer a class at co-op on it and charge the cost of the supplies. We got our ipad for Yule last year - after collecting gift cards from everyone we knew. Since starting using the ipad i've save tons on printing materials. I had been spending about $400/year to hs my 2 boys, that was membership at worksheet sites and printing materials mostly, but now i barely spend anything.
SilentE8
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Next year I'll have a 1st grader, a 7th grader and a 9th grader. I already have all of their curriculum, which I purchased with my hubby's Army bonus and some of our tax return. The younger two use Sonlight, which is pricey, and the older one is doing C.L.A.S.S. I do have to budget our YMCA membership so they can do homeschool p.e., swimming, and other electives. That is $122 per month for our family. I also give myself an allowance for books and supplies and a few dollars for postage for paperbackswap.com. I used to be really frugal and use mostly library books, but it doesn't work for our family anymore.

melissaoliver79
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I am using my money from my college text books buy back to hopefully get some stuff from the convention in Arlington in may.. Other wise its what ever I find on ebay, goodwill, and yard sales. I also had a wonderful lady I met in a yahoo home school group pick stuff up and send it ( shes a sweet heart for doing it)

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM
No homeschool budgeting, I'll try and spend as less as possible by buying used and catching great sales.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)