Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

it truly blows me away...........

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM
  • 28 Replies
3 moms liked this

that so many people truly beleve that school is the ONLY way kids will leanr to get along with other kids and the only way they will make friends.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SilentE8
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

In my opinion, school is not even the best way for kids to learn socilization skills, and it's definitely not the only way. My kids go to the Y for homeschool swimming, art, and p.e., they are involved in church activities, they go to summer camp, and they hang out with other kids at the park and other places. When they were in school, they would only hang out with their friends from school. Now that they school at home, they are quick to go talk to a child that is playing by himself or herself and ask to play.

oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:16 PM

hahaha yea what a joke!

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, that's pretty funny.  My kids have had more friends and deeper friendships being homeschooled than when at school.  Ds sees his homeschool friends 1-2 times a week at various field trips and classes.  He hangs out with his friends on the block and at the playground almost every day.  He also has friends in whatever activity he does - this year it's a show choir, but over the years he's done karate, baseball, basketball, football, scouts, and dance.  The beauty of it all is that he can choose who he feels like being friends with rather than the school way of being forced to be around kids he may not get along with.  Homeschooling is the real world where friendships are made the same way adults make friends - naturally.  If you don't like someone, you don't have to deal with them.  School is an artificial environment where kids are walled up for 7 hours a day with no rights, no input, and no freedom. 

Dorra
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM

My whole family thinks that my children will miss out on so much since I homeschool. "They won't know how to socialize". blah blah blah. I take them to the park twice a week, the library twice a week and meet up with the homeschool group. They also play sports. So far so good. 

BusCaptainMama
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM
My kids have WAAAAY more friends than my nephew who goes to public middle school! For some reason they are also much more social in general & function better socially in all situations! .....must be a fluke! LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Yes my family always ask what about socialization,I'm like they don't socialize in public school,people need to get there facts straight really.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I hear that a lot.  It's sad, but our government and schools have convinced us, that as parents, we are incapable of teaching our own children.  With or without a degree.

I have almost completed a degree in education, and I have to laugh, because people still say that homeschooling is bad.

So I am okay to teach a room full of 30 kids...but two kids is just out of my league I guess! 

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know about any of you but my kids are mean enough to each other at times that PS is unneeded!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

ya...we're going to radically unschool. i can only imagine the comments we're going to get. And we have 3 school teachers in the family.

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM
4 moms liked this

I seem to recall when I was in school that the teachers kept telling me I wasn't there to socialize, I was there to learn. I seem to recall getting in trouble for trying to socialize during class.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)