Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Music, Art, Gym ,Citzenship help????

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:21 PM
  • 14 Replies

I need to include music, art, gym, and citizenship in my sons home school next year and I am blank. I my self am not artistic, or musical. I cant carry a note or play a instrument if it meant my life. I am also confused on what they want me to teach about good citizenship. Isn't that always taught in everyday life choices?

What I was thinking about is taking him to art showings at my college and around town for the art aspect. For music I was going to teach a music history sort of thing. Also take him to musicals. Gym the only thing I can come up with is enrolling him in the ymca and sports, hiking, swim lessons etc. Citizenship I am at a lost..

What are some suggetions or some things you guys do?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Is this part of the homeschool law for your state or is this for K12 or something like it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissaoliver79
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:57 PM

yes the citizenship is..

Quoting usmom3:

Is this part of the homeschool law for your state or is this for K12 or something like it?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Good citizenship is about how one person inter acts with another.  You do that every single day or your life. And so does your son.  They want him to know how to be social.   Maybe you can make a playdate or 2 and make a written record of what went on and turn that in as the assignment.  

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Are you in Texas?

Quoting melissaoliver79:

yes the citizenship is..

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:23 PM

How old are they? If they're young, there are Kindermusik classes for the preK set. If older than that, how about music lessons?

The Y does art classes for little ones as well as the fitness things you mentioned.

SilentE8
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM

My 5 yr old does all of these except citizenship at the YMCA. My 11 and 13 year olds use How Great Thou Art for art. It is a very good program that teaches painting, colored pencils, art theory and more. It is easy to teach at home too and has DVD's to model the lessons. For PE we count sports, YMCA homeschool PE, swimming lessons, activities like that. For music I taught the older two recorder in 4th grade, but you can teach it in different grades. I got the book and recorder from Sonlight. From Sonlight I also got several classical and Bible music CD's and did Wee Sing Silly Songs with our American History. I am not sure what you need to do for the citizenship requirement. Certain lessons in social studies and history should count.

DrJChappell
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:43 AM

music - We do a unit every year, so far, based on particular songs and composers mentioned in the "What your xxx grader needs to know" series. We just finished the third grade one, fixin' to start the fourth grade one. All the kids do it, it's all ages fun. We get the cds and listen to them in the car and they are expected to memorize the song & composer for as long as the unit lasts. DS12 has chosen to listen to the cds well after the units are over. We also listen to different kinds of music. DS12 plays the clarinet. DD8 sings in the children's choir at church.

art - We go to museums, read books about artists. DS13 took a generalized class in art this year. DD8 took a painting class this year and will take a pottery class next year. Make art at home.

gym - All three take a general fitness class. DS13 played community youth football and arena football this year. We also got him a gym membership. Both boys are in Boy Scouts, so they get some physical activity through that. DD8 takes walks with her brother, they go scootering, she plays Nick Fit and Just Dance Kids on the Wii. This summer, we're going to do more hiking and outdoorsy stuff. Next year, she's going to take a dance class.

citizenship - I think you've probably got that covered. We don't do much formally in the way of citizenship. All three are involved in Scouting.

melissaoliver79
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM

yes

Quoting usmom3:

Are you in Texas?

Quoting melissaoliver79:

yes the citizenship is..

Quoting usmom3:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Hm, I think anything you can remotely call any of that can count. Can you visit your city hall and police station? That would count. Spend time writing out the Pledge? That counts. 8)

Browncoat4eva
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM

The good citizenship always seemed silly to me, too.

Music, art and phys ed. have always been things I'd send the kids to co-ops or community center classes for or get involved in groups of some sort.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)