Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

microscope, slides , diesection's yay or nay

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do you or have you ever used microscope, slides, or diesections kits? If so what grade did you start in?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM
I want a good microscope so bad! We are first grade going on second and there have been plenty of times wished we had one. We haven't started dissection yet and don't know if we will as far as real life goes, besides dissecting a flower or something. I never did it in school, and I don't really expect my kids to. Maybe a bug. Lol! I'm just not into killing something for the sake of science. They do have pretty cool fake kits though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM
My kids did some science classes at a museum years ago & did all that, at the time they where 14; 4 & 2! The 2y/o watched!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM

We haven't done that but want to so much. 

SilentE8
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I first used a microscope and participated in dissections in 10th grade in Biology. My 9th grade son will be doing biology next year, and we plan to do dissections and use a microscope then. I got our microscope from Sonlight, as well as my biology supplies. He will be using the Biology text from Christian Liberty Academy School System (CLASS), though. The microscope is of very good quality and I am very happy with it. It is better than the ones I used in college a few years back.

carolkey74
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:04 AM
My father in law gave my kids a microscope last year. My daughter is taking biology this year, using Apologia. We are doing all of the microscope labs, but we will do virtual dissection using apps available on the iPad. If she decides to go to college and major in a program that requires higher level science, she can do the real dissections then.
SilentDraconia
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:33 AM
We've done microscope and slides I got a very good full kit on eBay my boys love it and look at everything. They are pre k and 3rd grade. It was actually there ideas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DrJChappell
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:21 AM

We got a microscope and premade slides over the summer last year. That was 7th grade, 5th grade and 2nd grade for us. It was fun and they liked making their own slides until the microscope got dropped and we haven't figured out how to put it back together yet. Haven't done any dissecting.

melissaoliver79
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I am thinking of getting one i seen on ebay. I just didnt want to jump the gun because hes in 3rd grade. I know 3rd grade is diffrent now then when I was in school...

Quoting SilentDraconia:

We've done microscope and slides I got a very good full kit on eBay my boys love it and look at everything. They are pre k and 3rd grade. It was actually there ideas

melissaoliver79
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I will have to check my local museum and see if they have have science classes.

Quoting usmom3:

My kids did some science classes at a museum years ago & did all that, at the time they where 14; 4 & 2! The 2y/o watched!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I need to buy a more complete lab kit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)