Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Animations & electronics for 7-9 yrs

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:55 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi!

I am looking resources for my boys to develop their natural skills on art/animation/  and electronics/assembling/robotics. Does anyone here uses a specific site (hopefully free/low cost) or applications that helps them develop this. Any suggestions on how to help them learn electronics and how to assemble simple machines?

Mayra Rodríguez

http://estilofamiliar.com

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
MIT has a program called SCRATCH and Columbia has a program that is called ALICE. Both are free downloads and are basically beginner programming. alice has an app through iTunes U that teaches how to use the Alice program. My oldest just finished programming a video game using Alice.
JenTurn
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Its not electronics, but there is http://www.homeschoolprogramming.com/ A curriculum to teach kisd about basic programming. The second semester even goes through how to make a computer game.

estilofamiliar
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Kick and Jen:

Thank you so much for the reccommendations. I'm going to check them, but they sound excellent! I'll let you know.

kokyuhomama
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:28 AM

We have found that Electronic Snap Circuits kits (see on Amazon and other parts of the web) are great for teaching electronics, in addition to learning at home on demand, like when electrical work needs to be done.  For robotics, we have loved the Lego Mindstorm kits.  There might even be a Lego robotics group in your area through the local school, or summer camps.  In our area, there is one kids' summer camp through the University of Southern Maine which my son enjoyed. 

estilofamiliar
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Thank you kokyuhomama: Electonic Snap Circuits will be perfect for my younger son. Now I have enough material to research! More suggestions are more than welcome.

Quoting kokyuhomama:

We have found that Electronic Snap Circuits kits (see on Amazon and other parts of the web) are great for teaching electronics, in addition to learning at home on demand, like when electrical work needs to be done.  For robotics, we have loved the Lego Mindstorm kits.  There might even be a Lego robotics group in your area through the local school, or summer camps.  In our area, there is one kids' summer camp through the University of Southern Maine which my son enjoyed. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Quoting kokyuhomama:

We have the entire series of snap circuits.. After teaching a class on it at our co-op the kids even made their own batter operated cars!

But they are a bit more focused on the younger crowd. I got the computer interface for it, which helped as we then expanded into understanding sine waves and such.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN