Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does it remove a lot of the outside influence?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM
  • 10 Replies

So we are taking our older two out of public schools next year, and are going to homeschool them. For many reasons. Some because my 8 year old who is very smart is not being aloud to work ahead. So he is getting bored. Than my almost 10 year old who struggles is going to have to not be in resource (special ed) any more, because there is not a medical reason for why he is in their opinion "behind". Than they want to toss him in a school with every other 5th and 6th grader from the entire city. I don't think so.

Any ways, let me get to my real question here. For those of you who already homeschool, do you think it removes a lot of the outside influence? I mean one of my sons older friends (he was like 11 when my son was 8 1/2) had a girlfriend. His mom was totally cool with that. In my opinion that is WAY to young!

There are of course many other things that I want to steer them in a different direction with. However the dating one is the only thing I can think about right now. I would love to hear anyone's opinions and advice on this. Thanks.

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Yes, of course, w/ HS there is more restricted interaction w/ peers. Generally my kids are primarily friends w/ other HSers so they tend to share similar visions on society. My 11 y/o has never considered girls anything but friends as of yet. It doesn't occur to him to think in those terms. In the same vein, my kids are more willing to play at things that most pf their ps peers would deem unworthy for boys - like they took a folk dancing class at coop and had a blast. They didn't care that they were dancing or that they were partnering with girls. I couldn't pocture my brothers at 8 & 11 doing it as it would havee messed w/ their rep. I am happy that my kids don't think in that manner.
Danielle163
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Yes, I do believe that homeschooling makes it possible to remove a large part (you can't remove all of the bad influences) of the (negative, IMO) outside influences. I believe, for my DD, that she would have a very hard time dealing with peer pressure. I'm glad she won't have to. She was removed due to bullying and I never wanted her to be homeschooled (she's an only child & we have very limited activities here). But I'm glad (now) that she is.

We have tons of drugs, many teen pregnancies, bullying, and bad behavior.

jgattis
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes...and no....

I allow and encourage my children to play with traditionally schooled children.  I, personally, don't want them so out of touch with what their age peers are doing/saying/etc.  That being said, whenever a "questionable" (by my standards) situation occurs, we discuss it...immediately.  I ask my children what they think/feel about the situation...then I remind them of our beliefs...then we continue our activity.

However, this is just me and my children.  Ages 8 to 16....

But, yes, HSing can allow you to remove the "outside influence" of your child's age peers.  You can choose who your child interacts with and who he/she doesn't.

Browncoat4eva
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:21 AM

In my opinion & experience, yes.

I used to teach at homeschool co-ops. The kids are just... kids. They're what they should be at that age. They seem to maintain that childhood innocence.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

OneToughMami
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Yes. 8 year olds should be acting 8 not 18. It is ridiculous what was going on in my daughter's ps
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kokyuhomama
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:41 AM

It's hard to find a perfect world.  I'd have to say that my older son never really fit in any particular group perfectly, whether it was in public school, private school, or homeschool groups.  For you, it will depend on what kind of social world you find for them.  Friendships aren't really forced.  They happen because kids have an energy together.  If you get on Yahoo groups, you may find some homeschool groups in your area so that you can begin networking.  Good skill!

oredeb
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

influence is still there no matter how you educate your kids(theres tv, neighborhood kids, whatever activities you have them in, etc), but its gona be what are you teaching or putting into your kids about all the peer pressure, dating in  elementry school, etc

omiestutz29
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Well obviously I can not remove all of the influence out there. And if you note that in my question is says "a lot" not all. But they don't watch t.v. for that very reason. And I am very aware of their activities. If I don't like a kid they are hanging around, because I believe the child is a bad influence. Than my kids are no longer able to hang out with them. Not saying I want them living a totally sheltered life. They do have activities they are in. But I am a very involved parent, and talk with them often about what's going on.

Quoting oredeb:

influence is still there no matter how you educate your kids(theres tv, neighborhood kids, whatever activities you have them in, etc), but its gona be what are you teaching or putting into your kids about all the peer pressure, dating in  elementry school, etc

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM

This...

Quoting jgattis:

Yes...and no....

I allow and encourage my children to play with traditionally schooled children.  I, personally, don't want them so out of touch with what their age peers are doing/saying/etc.  That being said, whenever a "questionable" (by my standards) situation occurs, we discuss it...immediately.  I ask my children what they think/feel about the situation...then I remind them of our beliefs...then we continue our activity.

However, this is just me and my children.  Ages 8 to 16....~~~ mine are 3 to 16.

But, yes, HSing can allow you to remove the "outside influence" of your child's age peers.  You can choose who your child interacts with and who he/she doesn't.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We always sheltered our children.  They only played with a few well trusted friends. We too got rid of television in our home many (apx 17) yrs ago.  I believe it is our job to control whom and what they are exposed to.  Some may disagree but hey, we have raised 15 children like that and most are already happily married with kids of their own. Didn't mess them up "socially" or any other way. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)