Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New here

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:47 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hi. I am not yet a homeschooling mom. My daughter will be 3 in October. We are adopting my sil 3 week old daughter, so we still have just a little bit before the whole schooling process.
I have been debating what to do with my daughters futures. I am always getting asked if I will be sending my daughter, Alyssa, to preschool this year. She has complex partial seizures. She takes 4 meds, 3 times a day. She is very delayed right now. She's working on sitting, she cannot eat by mouth, she cannot really hold things. Ever since she has got g tube surgery, things have been looking up for her. She can roll to her sides, more active, she went from having 5 seizures a day to 1, or none. She cannot talk yet. The thought of sending her to preschool scares me. What if she has a seizure? What if they neglect her? What if the teachers, or kids are mean? She can't tell me. She has been doing physical therapy for over a year now. Next season, I will be signing her up for special needs baseball.
Needless to say this has got me thinking about her future. I have been a stay at home mom for a year now. I think she would benefit more with one on one attention.
I would love to learn from you girls, so I can kind of get a feel for how homeschooling is. I also think public schools have been getting worse. Elementary wasn't bad, but middle school and high school, I could barley walk through the halls without seeing a fight. My junior year I went to a vocational school where they didn't put up with fighting, or you would be sent back to your homeschool. I loved it there. After my junior and senior year I got my cosmetology license.
Thank you for reading this, I greatly appreciate it :).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Homeschooling would keep all the control in your hands, and that is a good thing with a child with the special needs like your daughter has!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssaravensmom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Thank you, I truly do agree. Thank you for your feedback.

Quoting usmom3:

Homeschooling would keep all the control in your hands, and that is a good thing with a child with the special needs like your daughter has!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I have home educated many yrs now (all 15 of our DC were/are educated at home) and have seen many, many home educating families. I can guarantee you that your children will do better at home than in any school. As the previous poster said you control their education and what they are exposed to.  There is nothing like it!  I am down to my last child to school (she is 14) as all the others have already graduated.

alyssaravensmom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM
That is great! I know in school I mostly want to write notes to my friends and not pay attention. I want my girls to have social interaction daily, I would make that possible. It sounds like it would be the best thing for their education :).

Quoting bren_darlene:

I have home educated many yrs now (all 15 of our DC were/are educated at home) and have seen many, many home educating families. I can guarantee you that your children will do better at home than in any school. As the previous poster said you control their education and what they are exposed to.  There is nothing like it!  I am down to my last child to school (she is 14) as all the others have already graduated.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Teachers are now the biggest influx into the home school venue, and the reasons they give are interesting:

Thinking About Home Schooling? Teachers Are

oredeb
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM

hi alyssaravensomom, if you can hs your daughter do it, not worth sending her to preschool or any school really, shes only 3, you dont even have to start with the usual subjects yet, 3 is a good time to play and enjoy the kids, dancing, reading, playing games with them, they learn so much with that.

the special needs baseball sounds fun!!! have you checked out your state homeschool law? http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

alyssaravensmom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM
No I haven't yet. I need to :). I know I am a little far a head since we have a bit of time till either of them have to start. My husband would like to do it for them too.

Quoting oredeb:

hi alyssaravensomom, if you can hs your daughter do it, not worth sending her to preschool or any school really, shes only 3, you dont even have to start with the usual subjects yet, 3 is a good time to play and enjoy the kids, dancing, reading, playing games with them, they learn so much with that.

the special needs baseball sounds fun!!! have you checked out your state homeschool law? http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)