Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New here :)

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:11 PM
  • 7 Replies
My name is Nikki, I'm 25 with two boys, age 3.5 years (Xavier) and 7 months (Shane). I've been seriously considering homeschooling but I don't even know where to start. I grew up in NJ where school was very important to everybody, but unfortunately where I live now, all but one county has really crappy schools and high drop out rates. Do I need to submit any legal forms? What about textbooks? I am so clueless, forgive me. :( I live in Georgia if that matters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Welcome!

Most places you do have to report. I don't bother with text books until a little farther on. It's easy teaching those early grades.

Good luck!!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

Check this site for your state's laws.  At this age just make sure you and your kids are having fun learning together.  That's the best curriculum!

melissaoliver79
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM

check here for your state laws..

from what I gather ...

You need a GED or high school diploma

Keep attendance records

Keep progress reports

homeschool833
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:18 AM
I believe you do not need those things. here in florida you dont but you would have to check your state laws though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
homeschool833
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:20 AM
I meant ged or hig hschool diploma. But record keeping yes it will be very important when its time to present a portfolio
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:12 AM

If you get in touch with your State Association, they can tell you what the home school laws are in Georgia, and more importantly, connect you with other home educators near you.  Having mentors is most helpful for you and your children. 

Your State association is Georgia Home Education Association .  If you look to the right of the web page, you will see a link to your State Laws, and all other helpful links. At the top of the page is a section where you can find groups near you.  If you call them, they are also very willing to help. 

This article will also be most helpful:  How To Home School

oredeb
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM

anymore questions just ask!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN