Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How would you feel if your child had to take a maturity test to get into kindergarten?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:27 AM
  • 13 Replies

Giving Kids 'Maturity Tests' for Kindergarten Admission Is Childish

Posted by Adriana Velez on April 27, 2012 

kindergartenShould kids have to take a maturity test to get into kindergarten? Tennessee legislators seem to think so. They think some young whippersnappers are trying to get into kindergarten too young. So they've introduced a new bill that pushes the cut-off birth date for kindergarten earlier. Kids who aren't yet 5 by August 31 next fall will have to take a maturity test to get into kindergarten. The kindergarten cut-off date was September 30. 

Now a lot of people are saying this is just about money. About 4,200 kids will be affected if this bill passes. But that maturity test? Sounds like a loophole to me. A loophole asking for trouble.

How on earth do you test for maturity? What are the standards? Out of diapers? No nose picking? Saying please and thank you without being prompted? Not crying when your parents drop you off at school? Is there a wiggles-per-minute rate?

What if your child just happens to be having a bad day on the day of the test? And if your child doesn't test well, can you appeal?

I guess I understand why they created this testing loophole -- parents are going to be pissed at this new cut-off date change. There are kids who have already been in preschool and want to move on with their peers. 

But if they introduce a maturity test, there will be arguments over the standards, appeals by parents who don't agree with the results -- it just opens up another set of problems. There's a similar law in Oregon, and I'm curious about how well those maturity tests are working there. Maybe there really are almost-5-year-olds who are so obviously immature it's not a close call?

How would you feel if your child had to take a maturity test to get into kindergarten?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kokyuhomama
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Just another example of the boxes that ps's create to stuff our little ones into!  Unbelievable!

Moma3boyz
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM
My kids failed. 2 out of 3 had to go to pre-kindergarten summer school to learn how to sit still, not talk out of turn, stay in line.... Looking back if I knew then what I know more they would never have set foot in a public school. More they didn't have a maturity test theirs was based on that the 3 hour kindergarten screening they went thru, they had trouble in these areas. I had been convinced that I had to send the kids to school because I was working and couldn't spend the hours they needed everyday to teach them at home. Hind sight is always 20/20.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:12 AM
I actually Love the idea! I think people are shoving their kids into PS much too early, when they are not mentally mature enough to handle the unexpected stressors. That is not to say a child is not capable of learning at a young age, they just might not be ready for the group setting/expectation of school.
usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this
Can we have one for becoming an adult?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ma2calebzoeyeli
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I think schools are starting formal schooling too early anyway.  I would love for kids to have to be 5 by June 1 before they can start K. 

Having worked in a classroom a lot I can see where this would be beneficial though as many parents are sending their kids to school as early as possible for the babysitting even though they know they are not ready yet.  I think this may actually be a good idea.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I think K is silly anyways.  Let the kids be just that, kids. Let them learn naturally through their playing and interactions with their family.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

If they are that worried about the maturity level, maybe they should not have changed the kindergarten cut-off date.

oredeb
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM

hahahahahah what a a good reason not to send your child to school!

mamatina281
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

just as a standard they automactically have to take it? if so, thats ridiculous.  If there was issues etc. prior in preschool,  that they may have delayed speech/social issues; what ever the case maybe, but still there is prepreschool, preschool, pre-K, Kindergarten.  I dont think it should just be automactic for all these kids to be tested ---kids pick up things at different rates than others, and get it eventually.  Or if the parents think its neccessary they could stay in kindergarten another year if they had to. 

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM

thank goodness my kids are home schooled.....no worries of a maturity test to start teaching them...or continue since I teach from birth. As for PS yes I think it's a good idea because kids are being put into ps way too early.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)