Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's something you love about your job as a homeschooling mom?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:31 AM
  • 3 Replies

My Job as a Homeschooling Momma

KONOS Unit Study on Stewardship/Fun/Circus

I’ve had many, many jobs over the years — waitress, mail clerk, sales assistant, retail store worker, front-desk clerk, teaching assistant, para-professional, personal care attendant, and, finally, special education teacher. I’m sure there were more.

All of these jobs served the ultimate purpose of paying the bills at some point in life. The last few positions moved me closer to my calling and afforded more in the way of personal fulfillment because I felt they actually helped other people.

The truth is, every job is important and can “help other people.” There are few jobs that don’t involve working with people, so God is certainly moving in the workplace! I guess it just depends on personal preferences and values.

These days, although I do work a part-time job, my primary career is certainly as a homeschool mom, which includes being a teacher as well as all the other domestic tasks we moms are given to.

I don’t think you would be surprised if I told you that there are some domestic tasks that I absolutely detest! Doesn’t every job have some loathsome responsibilities? Regardless, being a homeschool momma is definitely the best job I’ve ever had!

What I Love About My Job

I love –

…applying my skills as an organizer and teacher for the benefit of my children.

…tackling domestic tasks, like baking bread, washing clothes, or preparing a meal while my kids are doing school work in the kitchen.

…sitting in the rocking chair, in front of the east window, reading books or having devotions with my children every morning.

…creating opportunities for my children outside of the home that reinforce concepts they are learning about inside the home (i.e. their school books).

…teaching and modeling to my children how to persevere and be diligent in our work habits even when we really, really don’t feel like it.

…allowing our schedule to accommodate time out for hugs, tickles, prayer, discipline, or encouragement whenever it is needed.

…selecting our next chapter book and then reading out loud as the boys play Legos, draw, or sit next to me on the couch.

…watching and encouraging my boys as they begin to take on more responsibilities around the house, like doing chores and taking care of pets.

…attempting to foster the individuality of each of my children, especially their strengths and interests.

…listening for the Lord’s direction, when I remember to, about the next step to take on a particular activity for the boys.

…delighting my sons by occasionally granting some whimsical request that throws a monkey wrench into our schedule.

…incorporating short morning workouts with my sons, so that both they and I master the habit of taking good care of our bodies.

…taking advantage of the gift of being at home to provide more wholesome, natural, home cooked foods for my family — I’m taking care of them!

…prioritizing the completion of school work during the day so that there is no homework to disrupt family time or other activities in the evening.

…digging deep inside of myself to trust the Lord that, as I apply myself to educating our sons, He will continually provide whatever they need.

None of these “loves” are perfectly lived-out every day, but all of them are regularly occurring enough to provide a goal to which we may aspire. When we do fail, we know that we will wake up again tomorrow with God’s grace and the day at our disposal.

Whether you’re a homeschool momma or not, what is something that you love about your job?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
OneToughMami
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:20 AM
I hate my current job actually. I plan to quit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happy_mom_of9
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I love having incredibly close relationships with my teenagers... and the freedom of letting my children follow their passions and interests.  I LOVE being able to snuggle with my little ones in bed in the mornings, not having to rush to get up and go anywhere.  

P.N._Guin
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Love this post!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN