Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

homeschooling during stressful times

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

my marriage is bumpy right now and im having trouble being the mom i need to be to my kids..let alone, homeschool...any suggestions? i have five kids.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:57 PM

We have been under a ton of stress. Hubby moved out of state for work . Plus we only have one car. I gave my girls two weeks off. I was on the computer and phone so much it was impossible to get anything done. I suggest taking some time off or doing the minimal.

Hang in there mama !!! If you need to vent pm me anytime !! Hugs

usmom3
by BJ on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Be more relaxed with the school stuff & maybe take off for summer vacation early!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Let the kids chiose a project they want to learn and let the fly. My DH was laid off last year so we have had lots of stress. Letting the kids be in charge a bit of their learning takes the pressure off of all involved.
sreichelt26
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:18 PM

This - take an unschooling approach

Quoting KickButtMama:

Let the kids chiose a project they want to learn and let the fly. My DH was laid off last year so we have had lots of stress. Letting the kids be in charge a bit of their learning takes the pressure off of all involved.

oredeb
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:35 PM
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I can empathise with you there. I have 7 myself and its been pretty stressful for us too. All I can say is...

Take some time where you are just enjoying the day rather than stressing for the day. If you can do this a few times a week, then your  "be able to withstand anything"  resereves will start to fill up again and that lets off some built up pressures on you and your kids.  You may even have to take the rest of the school year off.  And that is okay too. You will all  feel better and a whole lot less stressed. i had to take a few months off between being sick and not being able to get out from under the pressures and stress that we have been under for awhile.   I am not saying that this is going to help wipe out the stress forever but it does help.  And anytime you need to de stress, you can talk to me if you'd like.   

gacgbaker
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Sounds like you need a bit of a break- are you able to get away with your husband and focus on that, even if it's just for a weekend?  I can not encourage couples to do that enough, honestly.  If that relationship is bumpy all the rest will be, including being a mom- it becomes so much more of a struggle!  One thing my husband and I do is get away for a conference called a "Weekend to Remember"- it's just a weekend and helps you really focus- if you are having issues or not, the time away is romantic and all about you and your spouse.  I find that when I return, I'm able to get back in line the rest of life that seemed so spiraled out of control.  I'd really encourage you to try to get away with your husband and take some time to rest.  

It's ok to take a bit of a break- in the end, you will be able to come back and do a better job after. 

Sorry this is a stressful time for you and I do hope you are able to figure things out and work with them!

Mellissa1990
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

It is hard to home school when you are not 100%.  Things are fine between my BF and me so I don't have that problem.  I'm 34 weeks pregnant with our #5.  I'm already having some back labor, but I usually go 40 weeks before real labor begins.  I'm trying to let them choose some special projects, and every Friday we meet with other home schoolers for an outing/field trip.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM

*hugs* Take a step back and concentrate on just Math and reading if you are teachoing a little to read. Go on a walk daily and the library weekly. Beyond that, break from school work and concentrate on your marriage. 8)

I hope everything works out.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I went through a similar time in my marriage and that is why I ended up quitting homeschooling for a couple of years.  Definately go low key with the schooling. If any of your kids are able to do more on their own as far as their schoolwork goes, encourage that. I would take that unschooling approach for awhile.  ((HUGS)) Feel free to PM me if you need to talk/vent

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)