Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling Material for a 6th Grader

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 5 Replies

What do you recommend and what type of schedules do you sent in your households?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
swim-mom72
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I cannot tell you what I would recommend for your child since I have no knowledge of them, their learning style, your teaching style, past school history, etc...

But, I can tell you what my 6th grader did this year: Bible-Apologia's Who is God and an advent study for the month of Dec., Language-Queens and some reading comprehension workbooks, Spelling-Bob Jones, Reading- readers and read-alouds from Sonlight with book reports, History- Story of the World with activity guide and test booklet with lots of journaling, Science- Apologia's Anatomy & Phys. with junior journal, Math- Teaching Textbooks, Spanish- Rosetta Stone, Typing- Platinum Typing (I think ), Art- Creativity Express art CD, PE- jui-jitsu 3-4 times per week, and co-op on Fridays.

Each of my kids have a planner that I write in everything they need to get done each day for each subject. My 6th grader would usually do school from 9 am - 2 pm with a short morning break and a 45 min. lunch break.

brunett34
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Well, material wise it depends on what state and city you live in. My oldest is in 6th grade and he goes to OHDELA. He starts off the day with a live lesson at 9:00 but has to logged in and ready by 8:55. He then attends another live lesson at 10:40-11:20, then another live lesson at 12:00 to 12:45. He then eats lunch and does school work. At 1:45 he atteds his last live lesson of the day. It lasts until 3:00. He has a full day but the teachers have them do the homework there with them while on line and they have to participate.

krazykiddles
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:54 PM

We live in Kansas and I am looking at online schools.  Thank you so much for sharing your information.

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:10 AM

The other comments are quite right.  It all depends on your State Laws, and your child's learning style. Because of his age, I would have him involved in your decision making because he is more likely to co-operate if he feels "he owns the plan". 

My children are now grown, but I still tutor and give workshops to home educators and tutors.  I get asked many questions like yours, and put together some free information that should help you.

krazykiddles
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for providing this information for me! I am just glad that I have enough time to get organized and decide what is best for my daughter and then my son next year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN