Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Timberdoodle??

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:16 PM
  • 4 Replies

I would appreciate some reviews you might have about timberdoodle. Next year my DD will be in 1st grade. I'm the type of person who HAS to have a curriculum. We are currently doing Calvert, which is ok but not totally thrilled. I want a program that tracks attendance and offers testing for evaluation. Thank you for any advice you may have. Also  looking into a preschool prog. for my 3yr old.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
5BMom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM
I am not super impressed as it is just a lot of resources pulled together. But I know a few people who buy from there and love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM

BUMP!

swim-mom72
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:50 PM

If you are more of an ecclectic homeschooler and you like the ease of having all the curriculum in a box by grade level, they do a wonderful job of that. They will even let you substitute items in the boxed sets for other things they sell on their site.

Now, they are not publishers of curriculum, they are suppliers of various curriculum. So, they will not track days or grades, not will they provide testing. They only sell materials used to homeschool, that's it. If you are wanting grades and days tracked, try homeschooltracker.com  And the testing part depends on the state you are in. Some states have pretty strict regulations on what kind of test to use and who administers it. So, I would look to HSLDA for that info.

We have used Timberdoodle for various books and resources in the past. This coming year will be my first year to buy one of their core boxed sets for my youngest son's 7th grade material. I was beyond pleased with the company, the customer service and the materials.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I really liked the look of what they pulled together for a K year, but wasn't 100% on board with it. So I have used them this year for ideas and to pick and choose what I like. Since it really is just a collection of materials, you can use them as little or as much as you want and substitute out areas that you'd rather use something else. They don't provide a real schedule or teacher's guide. In the years I looked at they just show you how to determine how much to do from each resource to complete everything in 36 weeks. If you're looking for something all mapped out for you, it's definitely not the way to go. They are only a resource provider, not a curriculum.

For a 3yo, we've loved Sonlight P3/4 because it's just a bunch of picture books plus a couple games. If you want more resources, Timberdoodle has a preschool program, too. If you're looking for a workbook and set curriculum, I've heard Horizons preschool is good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN