Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Structure in your life

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:47 PM
  • 18 Replies

I know that most of us wanted to home school our kids because we thought...no, scratch that...we knew, that the public school was not filling the need for our child(ren).  Now that we are home schooling, how much structure, or if,  do you provide and do you feel that it is necessary in the developement of the growth of your child?  Why or Why not?  

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OneToughMami
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:59 PM
We have a lot of structure because that's how Bucks likes her learning. She feels more grown having set times for classes as opposed to whatever they did in her PS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 1, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I like some tructurebecause thr will be structure in the workplace. They may as well have good habits early. We have assignments adn deadline but also allow them flexability of deciding when they get work done (as in throughtout the day or evening or middle of the night)  as long as it is one on time.

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 1, 2012 at 12:13 AM

In my house/school...my kids go with both. They drive me nutty sometimes with how they are. One day its structure to the gills and another day day its no structure at all!       :) 

sreichelt26
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:07 AM

We haven't started yet, but I plan to radically unschool. So, not much structure :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 1, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Every child is different. I think it's hard to get, but structure doesn't have to mean restriction. We have structure in that things are clear cut - the kidds know exactly what our expectations are, they know what is going to happen at any time in the day, etc. but we do a child led eclectic style of Hs. So we are structured in that we do school from 10-3 but rarely is it me teaching a traditional lesson, so we are a weird amalgom of structured and non-structured..lol... My eldest is on the autism spectrum so the unexpected is torture for him. So we have to have some specified schedule that we stick to.
usmom3
by BJ on May. 1, 2012 at 10:16 AM

You would think because I have sons with Autism that structure would be important, but I have learned that at least for them structure gives them anxiety & they are better off knowing that things are not set in stone.

oredeb
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this

we have structure and we have unstructure! so we do both! we all need the structure and we all need to know when to kick it out the door! to much of one thing is not good for us!

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Same here. The same basic things happen at the same basic times, each day. The structure gets tightened up when the family needs it and loosened up when we need it done, too.

Quoting oredeb:

we have structure and we have unstructure! so we do both! we all need the structure and we all need to know when to kick it out the door! to much of one thing is not good for us!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't have a lot of structure at the moment, and it's affecting our entire world. School isn't done properly, the house doesn't stay clean, the kids get bored and act out. When we stick to our routine, everyone is happier here, I really need to get back on it. The only thing we do religiously is wake up, meals, naps and bedtimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ixamxmine
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:42 PM

We NEED structure also. for everyones sanity :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)