Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Horizons math - anyone use it?

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM
  • 8 Replies
I did a search in here and didn't find too much info on it. We would be using it for second grade.

What I've found so far is that people really like it, but that the teachers manual isn't especially thorough. That is okay with me, because I'm kind of trying to get away from thr scripted Saxon program.

It looks nice, has color pages for the kids, a simplified teachers manual, and I noticed it goes along with this program I already have - mathtacular. Which is awesome because I got it at a convention last year (I won it, the whole huge set!!) and I'd like to use it more.

So let me know - any users?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tmgonz
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM

We use it for K and 2nd. My girls really like it  and I like how the introduce new concepts. The teachers manual has extra work sheets, but we don't use them. We will use it again for 1st and 3rd. I buy the teachers manuals used.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Good to know :) I went ahead and ordered it from alpha omega productions since it was on sale and had free shipping. We are finishing up Saxon this year for first grade and I just REALLY want to try something else.
Do you have a hard time explaining the concepts?

Quoting tmgonz:

We use it for K and 2nd. My girls really like it  and I like how the introduce new concepts. The teachers manual has extra work sheets, but we don't use them. We will use it again for 1st and 3rd. I buy the teachers manuals used.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liamoondancer
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM

We've used Horizon for grades 1-3.  For grade 4 we plan to use Teaching Textbooks.  I had purchased Switched on Schoolhouse grade 3 Math - but this homeschooling grandmother is not computer literate enough to figure out how to use it!  LOL  If anyone wants SOS grade 3, let me know.

We liked Horizon and he did well with it, although the manual does not help explain concepts as well as I would like.  We plan to use Horizon for the twins.  They are finishing K and have begun Horizons grrade 1

tmgonz
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM

No, because they introduce the new concepts in steps.

Quoting Boobah:

Good to know :) I went ahead and ordered it from alpha omega productions since it was on sale and had free shipping. We are finishing up Saxon this year for first grade and I just REALLY want to try something else.
Do you have a hard time explaining the concepts?

Quoting tmgonz:

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:23 PM

We are also using it for K and 2nd. My girls really like it a lot.

estilofamiliar
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:46 AM
I have been using it for my son since K and it has been perfectbfor him that is now finishing 2nd grade Probably it is a little advance, but manageable. My son is very hands on and he gets bored doing the same thing for too long and that's why the variety of themes on each lesson works for him. I also like the fact that it includes a test every 10 lessons. It has the perfect nimber of exercises. Sometimes my son finds the sum/substraction too long (21) but he's getting use to it and his skills are improving a lot.
estilofamiliar
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:48 AM
I don't need the teacher manual. This year I gt it for free, but have barely use it.
vsjc
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:12 AM
We use 1st and 3rd grade. So far we haven't had to use the manuals except for faster grading. We will use the reproducible pages over the summer. Many mornings, my girls have their math assignments done before I'm even up for the day. It is easy for them to follow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN