Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

pulling children from public school HELP!!!

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM
  • 7 Replies

I need help know where I can get test to find out where my kids are at in public school so I can start them where they need to be!!! they are in 1st, 2nd, and 8th grade right now. I know that my 8th grader is not ready for ninth grade at ALL and plan on using flash cards to help in some of the areas but need to know where to start with all of them. I know that in there reading and math they could be behind in homeschooling and would like to help them through the summer

by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

First, take a deep breath in and then let it out slowly. There.  Feel a bit less stressed?  If not.. repeat above said action until desired results appear.  :) 

This is a link that will get you started.  HSLDA on Homeschooling.   If you need more help, please let me know and I will help all I can.   

Danielle163
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=1&category=42

You can buy tests from Rainbow Resource Center.

Larisa72
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:24 PM

it depends on the program you use.  We are using an online school and they actually have placement tests that you can print out and give your children, then you use the key to score and based on the score, it will tell you what level to place them in.....let me do some searching............

Larisa72
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM

http://www.freehomeschooling101.com/2008/12/placement-tests.html

FREE placement tests!!!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

First, your two  youngest are so young I wouldnt worry about it at all. I never started any "school" until mine were 6-7 yrs old at the youngest anyways and it didn't make a bit of difference. Honestly. Don't worry about it.  As far as the older one just start 8th again and skip what they prove they know and learn or re-learn what they need to.  I have gone back on mine a few times through the yrs.   Most important is for you to just chill and relax and teach your children to love to learn.  They will if you don't stress  :-)

usmom3
by BJ on May. 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

If you intend to homeschool from now on I would take this time from now in to the fall to deschool, this is a very important step to help you & them adjust to homeschooling!

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:56 AM

For most people, starting out is scary, but you will do just fine.  As the old saying goes, "the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time".

• The first step is knowing your State laws, and the easiest way to do that is through a mentor-ship.  Your State associations can help you find home school groups near you, and usually have a page on their site explaining the laws.  The following link lists several states, and you can click on yours  to find at least one home school association for you     Home School Associations
  • As for reading help:  My children are now grown, but I still tutor, and give workshops to home educators and teachers.   My specialty is reading...one of the most common cause of children having problems in this area is explained in the following video..

• Flash cards and workbooks are fine for 40% to 45% of the children, but are a disaster for "hands on learners." creating nothing but frustration for you and your child.  So it is important to understand your children's learning style.  The following link has four videos (with links for more information) to to make that easy for you  Understanding Your Child's Learning Style.
  • As a workshop leader, I am often asked questions like yours.  So I have put together a free web page with answers to the rest of your questions at the following link: How To Home School. For your 9th grader you will want to pay particular attention to the Dual Enrollment Section. There is also a section on testing resources.

There are lots of good people here that are more than willing to help you.  So if you have anymore questions please feel free. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)