Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Standardized testing

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM
  • 14 Replies

Did standardized testing have any influence in your choice to homeschool?

It does mine. I don't want my daughter or any future kids spending what seems like half the school year learning how to take an end of year LEAP, Iowa or CAT test. (Those are what I think I remember taking when I was in school.)

I want my child's education to focus more on how to learn and actually enjoying their education, not on how to properly answer questions on an exam to make the school district look good.

Am I off base here on this?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on May. 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Absolutely not! Education in ps is more about performance and memorization than about truly learning lessons through practical living. Standardized tests were only part of my decision to hs...there are so many more also.
usmom3
by BJ on May. 2, 2012 at 4:16 PM

It wasn't one of my first reasons but it is a reason for homeschooling!

oredeb
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

your not off base!

ive never standardize tested my kids

colman4
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Don't you have to get them tested??

TraceyMR
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Yearly testing for seeing how they are doing with curriculum is not the same as the week long standardized tests.

Quoting colman4:

Don't you have to get them tested??

ablessedlife
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

We start testing our kids at the end of grade 2.  We order the test and administer it ourselves, and we actually enjoy it.  It is a great way to expose our kids to some "testing" and to help us evaluate our teaching.  It has helped us identify weak points and enhance our teaching objectives/planning.

TraceyMR
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

What sort of test?
I am totally okay with and planning on preparing my child(ren) to be able to take and pass the ACT and SAT when they are done with high school.

Quoting ablessedlife:

We start testing our kids at the end of grade 2.  We order the test and administer it ourselves, and we actually enjoy it.  It is a great way to expose our kids to some "testing" and to help us evaluate our teaching.  It has helped us identify weak points and enhance our teaching objectives/planning.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I hate that the schools teach to the test. It was one of the many reasons we pulled our daughter. I do have her tested each year, but we don't base our curriculum on it.

lucsch
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Yes, yes, yes! I don't want my dd to be taught to a stupid test! I want her to learn how to think and analyze and to love to learn, not coached and crammed into a multiple choice test. How limiting!

Jeremmy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Its not really one of the reasons I decided to home school. I was home schooled in a very rigid way. My parents definitely tried to mimic the school experience because its the only thing they knew. I loved taking the test and seeing what score I would get. I definitely wont be teaching for the test, and am in fact doing portfolio review with my son...but I dont have a problem with standardized testing itself as long as parents approach it in the correct way.

If you are just talking about the attitude towards testing in the public school system...than no, I dont agree with how they do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN