Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Did standardized testing have any influence in your choice to homeschool?

It does mine. I don't want my daughter or any future kids spending what seems like half the school year learning how to take an end of year LEAP, Iowa or CAT test. (Those are what I think I remember taking when I was in school.)

I want my child's education to focus more on how to learn and actually enjoying their education, not on how to properly answer questions on an exam to make the school district look good.

Am I off base here on this?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Replies (11-14):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM

No, it wasn't an influence. In fact I will probably be giving the sat test. But I understand your point and agree with it. They shouldn't be taught what's on the test just so they can pass the test and nothing else. If they have a well rounded education then it will show.

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM

That was a big part of the reason we chose to continue homeschooling. In my brief period of teaching public schools, it was very frustrating to me how little I could truly teach and inspire the kids because of how much time I had to spend on preparing them for tests.

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Quoting colman4:

Don't you have to get them tested??

Some states require testing, others don't. Mine doesn't so we never bother.

The only tests we helped my daughter prepare for were the college entrance exam so she could get into the dual enrollment program at the local community college, and then the SAT. 

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

ablessedlife
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Quoting TraceyMR:

We live in Canada so we do the CAT-3 each year. I do not look at the test beforehand. I do not teach to the test, but I do use it to evaluate my teaching (and to get the kids accustomed to some testing).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)