Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: Do you have chore charts?

Options:

YES, they have been awesome for my kids

No, never worked for us.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 20

View Results

DO you have them for your kids?! 

Do you use stars, checks, laminate them ETC ETC.

My oldest 2 are really getting into chores and I would like to help them see what they get done and perhaps give them some sort of allowance or something to that effect.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Replies (11-19):
workoutmom2b1g
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:19 PM

That's what my thought was too. My oldest are almost 4 and 5. I think it can help them be accountable in a fun way! They love contributing to the famil anyway. They do have chores, but I feel like if they see it themselves, I won't be barking at them what to do next! ONce their list is done, they know and can show me etc. 

Quoting mem82:

I might try them so the kids have a list of things they do everyday so I wouldn't have to tell them to do it.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 3, 2012 at 1:30 PM
High score house I believe. It's a nice app, very pretty graphics, and we haven't had the glitch happen in a couple days. It's free so worth a shot!

Quoting MrsHubler:

Quoting Boobah:

I try but I can't keep up with them. Lol! My daughter LOVES them though. We got a free app for the iPad recently and she has been doing well with it, but the darn thing messes up her points and ticks me off.

What is the app called?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy.etc.
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM
I love them and so do my girls. We started using one when my oldest was learning to use the potty and it worked out terrifically. I started one for my three year old, its just a poster board, she gets stickers when she doesn't throw tantrums and when she helps around the house without having to be asked. She was a little terror and timeouts and spanking never worked and I thought of doing this, so we went to the dollar store and bought the poster and let her pick out a few packs if stickers and I explained to her what our plan was and it has honestly worked wonders. We've got from fits several times a day, to one a week. I know that it may seem like a form of begging, but it really isn't. She has learned that if she wants something she has to act right and that whining and fit throwing wont get her what she wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Other- LOL

WE're currently in the process of making them.  Although really I don't know if we need them yet. My 3 year olds do all their chores without complain, and are starting to do their chores without a prompt.  But I would like to start rewarding them for completion.  Their list is as follows.

Morning:
Help mommy make their beds.
Pick up any toys they played with before we head down stairs for the day.  
Help clean the table after breakfast, and put dishes in the sink or dishwasher.
If it's laundry day, put their clothes in the dryer.

Lunch/nap
Help clean up after lunch.
Pick up all livng room toys (we enforce a 2 toys at a time rule...keeps things SOOO much cleaner).

Afternoon:
Re-make our beds with mommy.
Pick up any room toys that we played with after nap.
Hang up our clothes (mom does most of the work, but they do help.  I let them go after four shirts lol)
Clean up after snack.

Dinner/evening
Put away our toys before dinner
Put dishes in sink/dishwasher.
Put dirty clothes in the hamper
 Pick up any toys in our room that we missed.

Also they help clean up any messes they make during the day.  

It sounds like a lot, but they do beautifully with it.  And are rewarded at the end of every day with a quarter each to put in their piggy banks.  But I want them to really have a visual aid of how well they are doing, which is why I want to make a chore chart. 

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

We all found them tedious to keep up with. Even the kids stopped caring if they got a sticker or whatever.

They do their chores... there are the regular things like making their beds, putting away their laundry, doing the dishes, throwing out the garbage, taking care of the pets, etc. and then I put lists up on the fridge if other things need to be done that day. And when chore time comes, we all start at the top of the list and work our way down.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

doriselm
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM

We used them before and they worked, but things always happened to throw us off course, so this year I will do them different, just don't know how yet. I think I will try the app mentioned. Will check it out for sure. My kids like a list they can go by. One does all her chores without being told and the other cannot remember and loses focus so lists help. I make a list of everything I have to do during the day it helps me keep on task even if I don't make everything on there, it's still better than not having one for me.

Doris :)

melissaoliver79
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:07 AM

when I tried to do a chore chart it was a war zone. My kids decided to declear war. Hid the chart and I threw in the white flag.,.. Little do they know that I am using mind manipulation and they are still doing their chores.

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I had to check no but not for the reason that was listed. I checked no because I can't find one that fits my family's needs.   

5AkerWood
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Our chart is also more about attitude and less about actual chores. Because, I find that when my DS is having a good attitude, all I have to do is ask and he will help or do anything I want. But if he is having a bad attitude, NOTHING gets accomplished by either of us.

So his "chores" are doing as asked without arguing, having a good attitude, NOT back-talking, and keeping his hands and feet to himself (we had a real problem with him hitting for a while). He gets an X for each thing he has done well during the day and a - for each thing he had trouble with during the day.

All X's get him .25 and all -'s cost him .25. So he is not only getting "bribed" for being good, but he must PAY for not behaving.

It has helped immensely! Our home is much more peaceful and he has saved money for thing he wants that I told him I would not purchase.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)