Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are your thoughts on David Barton and his take on history?

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:12 AM
  • 9 Replies

Jon Stewart Brilliantly Rips Fake 'Historian' to Shreds 

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on May 2, 2012 

jon stewart david bartonI don't know why or how David Barton thought that he could go on The Daily Show and NOT end up getting ripped to shreds by Jon Stewart for his warped version of American history, but I guess that just proves what we already knew: The guy is completely delusional.

The "historical reclamationist" was trying to promote his new book The Jefferson Lies, an argument against the modern belief that Thomas Jefferson was an atheist. Or a secularist, or something.

Because, in case you didn't know, "atheist" groups all over the country apparently use Thomas Jefferson as an excuse to ban prayer in schools and take the Christ out of Christmas and do all kinds of other anti-Jesus stuff.

Huh?

"I've never thought of Thomas Jefferson as an atheist," said Stewart, the look on his face adding, "and I'm pretty sure nobody else does either, so WTF are you talking about, man?"

Too bad only eight minutes of the interview aired on TV, because Stewart continued to call Barton out on his vague, rambling lies for a full 40 minutes! (Which are totally worth watching online!)

I think the following bit was one of my favorite parts -- starting with Stewart's response to Barton's claim that making kids say the Pledge of Allegiance ("one nation under god") isn't unconstitutional because coercion isn't the same thing as being "forced."

Stewart: But you are being forced to be in school.

Barton: Look at all the pressure that goes through school, whether it's drugs or anything else, and we don't rule that unconstitutional.

Stewart: Well, no, because there's not the teacher saying, "You have to smoke pot."

Stewart: Are you really — and this is, I think, where I get to something that's more difficult to take — you believe there's a hostility —

Barton: Oh, Jon.

Stewart: — to Christianity.

Barton: You would not believe the number of arrest cases in the last year of Christians — a 67-year-old man in Georgia who gave out a gospel tract to somebody on a park bench, two days in jail.

Stewart: I think there is real persecution of Christians.

Barton: There is some.

Stewart: I think it happens in China, but I don't think it happens in this country!

Barton: No, but how do you keep it from becoming like anywhere else? You stop it right when it happens.

Stewart: Because we've had 240 years of evidence that it won't. One of the reasons that we separated it from the public square is to avoid these types of situations.

I sincerely wish every politician with a backwards belief system was required to debate publicly with Jon Stewart.

Did you see David Barton on The Daily Show? What did you think?

by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
carolkey74
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:16 AM
I personally love David Barton, and we use several things purchased from Wallbuilders in our curriculum.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I never heard of him. If I get the time later, I'll watch the interview because I love me some Jon Stewart. I thought Jefferson was a Deist or whatever you call them?

oredeb
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM

never seen it, i would need to see the whole thing in order to comment!

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

David Barton gave an extensive interview on Fox News (see 3 videos below).  He advocates studying old documents, textbooks and dictionaries to understand the Constitution because word meanings have changed over the years...for example:

For example: The word “welfare” is used in the Preamble of the Constitution and in two other places as well.  The 1828 edition of the word is: “2. Exemption from any unusual evil or calamity, the enjoyment of peace and prosperity, or the ordinary blessings of society and civil government; applied to states.” In today’s Webster’s edition “welfare is defined as “receiving government aid because of poverty, etc.

Thomas Jefferson stated, ” Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated” (article I Section 8).

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM
What i love is the double standard - demanding people explore the wordage of the constitution but STILL misunderstanding the 2nd ammendment...lol
romacox
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

What i love is the double standard - demanding people explore the wordage of the constitution but STILL misunderstanding the 2nd ammendment...lol

You bring up a very good point KickButtMama.  But I think many have never actually read the Constitution as you apparently have.

The First Amendment of the Constitution States:

Quote:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”

P.S. If I understand David Barton correctly, he would agree with you.  During the American Revolution, he says, most of the Churches were actually an arm of the King of England (See videos), and anyone who disagreed with the King was banned from preaching in those churches.  So David Barton says,  the Founding Fathers (even though they were men of faith) did not want a State Religion. ...government was to stay out of religious matters unless someone was harmed (a crime committed such as molestation)... the First Amendment.  

It is way too easy to rely on others to interpret important things like the Constitution for us...but it is dangerous to not question everyone, and not to do our own research...no one is infallible.

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I don't think I have heard of this guy before today.  

Charlenerjs
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM
I've never heard of him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

I don't think I have heard of this guy before today.  

His website is at the following link:  Wall Builders

His curriculum concerning the Constitution and American History can be found at this link: Store.

Amazon also carries some of his curriculum at this link: Save on David Bartons products at Amazon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN