Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling for the first time. Need advice to make this work....

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello everyone, my name is Nicole. I am a new member to cafémom as well as this homeschooling group. I live in Massachusetts and just enrolled my daughter in a k-12 homeschooling program, I have no friends who homeschool and don't know too much about it. I would love any advice you mothers can offer. I have till September to learn how this works. I am nervous because my friends and family think it's a bit odd and I have no one besides my husband who thinks this is the right thing to do. Any advice would be great. I would appreciate it. I suppose I just want to know what makes homeschooling work for you?

by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moma3boyz
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:22 PM
3 moms liked this
What makes it work its knowing that you know what is best for your child. Do not worry about what any one else says. This is my second year and I adm still learning myself lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this

There will always be someone who thinks it's 'odd' and may have an opinion. Just ignore them. You and your husband know what's right for your child. My advice is don't be afraid try it a different way if one way isn't working for you and don't be too hard on yourself.

Homeschooling_2
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks ladies!

EDDES
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Just do what you know in your heart is good for you and your child and your family and forget about the talks around you; people always talk but you do your best and God does the Rest. God Bless You and Your Life and Your Family.

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

For us, it works because we can provide the kids with a custom-designed education to really suit their needs.

Never used an online program ourselves, we like to take a more hands-on, experiential, project-oriented approach. That worked really well for us. I've known other homeschoolers who loved having the structure and traditional curriculum and teacher guidance of a virtual program. I've known people to start one way, then end up another way-- people who start with one curriculum and end up unschooling, or people who start unschooling and end up eclectic.

That's really the beauty of it; you can observe your own child, their progress and decide for yourself the best path to continue on as you forge ahead with only the child's needs in mind-- not just educational needs, but social, emotional, creative, etc; you can focus on the whole person and their hollistic development.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 3, 2012 at 3:15 PM
I didn't know anyone who hs'd in the beginning either. I seriously thought I must be the only one in Ohio. Lol! Now it's amazing how many people are doing it near me. There are more HS groups than I can count! And with k12, they usually have groups around you that facilitate activities,face to face meet ups, socials,etc.

This group has been a HUGE support for me! So welcome, and jump right in asking questions and reading posts! We were all new at some point. :) I'm currenty finishing up our first year and almost done planning for second grade! Yay!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MBristol
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Nicole, I can't tell you how happy I am to know that I am not the only one!

I decided to try homeschooling this year as my daughter is rounding the corner to Kindergarten. It has been very difficult for any of my family members (with the exception of my wonderful husband) to respect my decision to home school, and I usually end up with a fake smile and a "Good luck with that" response when I tell them.

I am *almost* prepared for my daughters first year of home schooling.. There is a fantastic book I picked up at my local book store called 500+ Fabulous Month-by-Month Teaching Ideas. Its a Scholastic book and cost around 16.00. I have a store in my city called Utah Idaho Supply and it carries all sorts of teaching materials, and so far they have been my right hand for teaching. I am sure you have a teaching supply store around your area! 

I have also found that the dollar store is a great place to shop too! I always find cheap teaching supplies and markers, crayons etc. 

Don't forget to go online to craigslist perhaps and search to see if anyone has any left over supplies for the specific grade you are teaching :)

OH and the BEST place to find ideas is to google "home school" and you can find all sorts of free ideas, printouts, crafts, science projects, coloring pages, counting pages etc! (I have to admit this is where I get the majority of my ideas!)  This is my favorite website http://www.homeschooling-ideas.com/

I also get emails constantly from these guys http://www.thehomeschoolmom.com/  SO AWESOME!

I have a steady curriculum so far for my daughter and I am pretty confident about it! My daughter is excited to start school and most days she is up and dressed before I am asking if its time to go to school yet. lol

There is no right or wrong way to teach your child!!  =D I am pretty sure if you go to your local school district and ask them for a detailed curriculum for the specific grade of your child, they will be happy to assist you!

Dont worry about your family and friends. My cousins son is 6 now and he has been home schooled since he was preschool aged and he reads and writes fluently and the things that come out of that kids mouth! He is so smart (part of the reason I am doing this)  You are going to do great!

*SIDE NOTE* I am not sure how it works in your state, but in Utah we have to fill out an affidavit before the school year starts so they know where the child is attending school, so if you haven't done that yet.. look into that one too :)

I hope this helps a little! 

Mal

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My children are all grown now, but I still tutor and give workshops to home educators and to teachers. So I get many questions like yours, and have put together a free web page with answers to the most common questions...the first important step is to know your state laws.

How To Home School

pandahoneybee
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

The ladies have it right, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.... she is your kiddo and you know what is best for her:) Its great hubby is on your side, heard some horror stories about fights between parents over it. Mine was on board so I knew I could do. Going on year 5 now(or is it 6 we homeschool year round so i can't remember,LOL) and we love it. The social part of it will take some work on your part, I run my boys all over the place. Some suggestions for right now....

community classes ( thru parks, musuems, library) these are a great way to get your kiddo out there.

volunteer with her at places like SPCA, senior center, library... if you do it during the day you might find some other homeschoolers near you:)

sports from basketball to skateboarding and everything in bewteen great places for kids to get together.

summer camps- we did a lot of these our first year and the boys made some great friends

also if your homeschooling group has a park or game day go to those as well.

its a lot of running around at first til you can find your "group" of peeps.

Good LUCK:) and no worries we all were there at one point and look we are still here and mostly sane,LOL.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM
This post gives a summary of our HS and what led up to HS -

http://www.cafemom.com/group/699/forums/read/16483396/Defining_Our_Homeschool_piog

Welcome to HS and CM!!
Shannon

Ask me how you can make money sitting on your couch enjoy books with your children! It's the most amazing opportunity I've ever seen!!    Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / The Usborne Learning Fairy

Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN