Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So many choices my head is spinning :)

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello my name is Bekki I'm new here :) i have 3 kids  (2 older boys and 1 lil girl)  10,8,2 the older and currently in public school until the end of this year, (20days left ,not that I'm counting) then i will start homeschooling them next fall. i have been looking at different curriculum's and  i am having a hard time picking one. how do you narrow down to just just one? ive looked at abeka, lifepac, ,sonlight, saxon, horizon, sos, monarch... i am leaning towards sonlight because there literature seems more like something my older boys would enjoy. i guess any advice on how to take the plunge on a curriculum would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks

Bekki

by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Replies (11-17):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Quoting Boobah:I suggest not picking one set curriculum, but piecing it together based on what looks interesting to you and your kids. We are finishing up first grade, and planning for next years second grade and have learned so much this year! Just be ready to be flexible! At first I thought "i*have* to do this curriculum because I bought it and I don't want to waste it". Well, that made us all miserable!

For second grade,we are using horizons math, all about spelling level 2, handwriting without tears cursive, story of the world for history, r.e.a.l. Science odyssey for history.

My point is, I wasn't able to find a boxed curriculum that interested us in every subject area, so instead of buying, say, my fathers world entire 2nd grade set, we looked at subjects individually and chose what would work best for her learning style, as well as my teaching style.

My first step, after looking up my states laws on hslda.org was to find out what "method" we leaned towards. (I wish I could remember the site I figured this out from!) and I found us to lean towards the classical method, as well as the Charlotte mason method. We mainly pull from these two, but really justo with whatever works. It was just nice to have a starting point to narrow down the curriculum choices.

I agree. Even if you don't want to go with designing your own curriculum all the time, i always recommend asking for samples from everywhere. Then trying them with your kids. I can't tell you the number of times i thought our curriculum was the BEST - interesting, fun, etc.....only to have it be an epic fail in application. I recommend 6 mos to 1 year of variety - trying different learning styles - so you can have a clearer picture of exactly what your needs are.

Good luck!
kokyuhomama
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

This helped me tremendously when I first began:

100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Curriculum and Approach for Your Child's Learning Style

We found it at our local library, and I think it's well worth the purchase honestly, especially if you have more than one child. 

B_Zuck
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM

i actually just picked up the 100 top picks for homeschool! im loving it! i am so glad i signed up for cafemom.com! i feel so much better with all you helping me :)

Jeremmy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I take into account my childs learning style and my teaching style. Luckily, my son is very similar to me, so our styles mesh. We do sonlight and love it (if you do decide to go with them, EC20307595 is my code for $5 off $50+ fyi) Some kids do great with workbooks, some kids dont need to do lots of writing and/or writing too much overwhelms them. You can also mix and match curriculums. Read lots of reviews to see what people hated/loved about different subjects. Remember that what works for one person wont necessarily work for you. Give yourself the year, and than if something didnt work, get something else.  

Jeremmy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

oh, go to a homeschool convention if you can. It is wonderful to be able to touch and really look at the samples the vendors bring with them. Also, you get freebies and sometimes get free shipping and discounts for ordering your curriculum there. The one I used to go to had a lot of great work shops to attend too.

B_Zuck
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM

jeremmy~ i have been extremely drawn to sonlight! i'm leaning more towards that curriculum. right now my boys are in an educational recourse program to help them where they need to be for me to teach them next fall! this place is amazing they are the ones that made me realize that homeschooling can be a reality! and i am so grateful for them. i want to make sure that they think sonlight will be appropriate for them :)

bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

We are using several different curriculum choices for next year.  We looked around and tried to pick choices that would work best for our son and his learning needs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)