Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

In laws opposing your homeschooling...

Posted by   + Show Post

your takes and/or experiences on this?

by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Replies (31-38):
littleacorn
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:04 AM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting PeaceChild:

MIL has a shit fit no matter what I do, has always questioned everything me and my husband do, so I don't care anymore.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Browncoat4eva
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

inlaws weren't an issue. My family wasn't too kind for a long time. But it's my kid, my life, my choice.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

firefay
by Member on May. 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM
My mom and older brother are against homeschooling completely. My mom doesn't think we are qualified at all, because neither DH or I have a college degree, and she is a master teacher. She and my brother believe socialization can only happen in a classroom for 8 hours a day five days a week. My dad isn't exactly against it from what I can tell as of today, but he doesn't get how we will do so. None of them want to pay attention to how well my oldest at only 3 has done so far using never set foot in preschool. She's already doing first grade work, thanks to homeschooling unofficially (no records or contacting the school board). Yesterday, my mother actually told us not to other because we wouldn't be able to meet the educational standards initiative signed by I believe 43 states now. My stepmom seems okay with it.

DH stopped talking to his whole family before I met him, so they know nothing about our kids and have no say about anything.
luvinhs
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, it is comforting to know that I am not the only one being accused of "henpecking" OR of breastfeeding because I "didn't want to share the baby". LOL

Mom2theboy1994
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM
I don't know what my family thinks- it's never occurred to me to ask their opinions, lol. I know my MIL thinks it's fantastic. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Member on May. 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM

The only person who has said something yet is my sister. But once I told her about how much socialization she would be getting she was okay with it. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM

My inlaws, some of the aunts and uncles, and a few teacher cousins were all against it.  I've won over the Aunts and uncles.  My MIL and FIL have been won over by the knowledge my kids show on a regular basis (shouting out the continents or oceans, adding up coins faster than the adult can, reading signs or menus, etc)  The cousins that made a big deal of it, they are never going to see how much better this is for our family.  And I don't care if they get it or not.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

At first when the children were young my in-laws didn't like the idea of us homeschooling.  When we started they weren't too happy with the idea.  As the years went on and they saw how well the children were thriving, and compared them with other peoples children their ages they warmed up greatly to homeschooling.

They have educated themselves over the years on it more and met others that have successful stories within their circles of friends.  Now they help provide materials when they run across them and compliment how successful the children are doing.  Lol, and now my mother in-law refuses the idea that she was ever against my children being homeschooled.

To me the ability to show achievements and great progress through time is the best cure to prove your choice to homeschool was a right one.  It may take longer, and it may be a passive approach to proving one is right, but to me it's a more effective and peaceful approach then arguing your points or trying to change a persons way of thinking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)