Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

In laws opposing your homeschooling...

Posted by   + Show Post

your takes and/or experiences on this?

by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
bmw29
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM
The only one who has ever said anything even remotely negative is my husbands 94 year old grandmother. We just smile and nod. She won't be with us forever and she's really an amazing woman.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 4, 2012 at 10:47 PM

When we first did this years ago, there was a lot of opposition.  T learned so much so quickly that that stopped it.  Since we have since stopped and restarted I expected more opposition but so far almost nobody's said anything.  We haven't made a big deal of it either so, that may have helped out there.

AlyBren
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I was shocked at my FMIL's response.

She told me she wished that was around in her time with her kids! DF never had problems at school (though he wasn't happy there), but her older daughter definitely did.

My gran was the one who reacted horribly :( She was pushing preschool at 2. I never did really resolve the issue with her. She was very, very angry that DD was not going to be enrolled in JK this year.

Mostly I told her "my kid, my choice," but she really didn't respect that. I know she cared and that's why she did it, but I wish we would have made peace with that. She raised my mom and then me when my parents passed, so I know it was just her feeling of investment in DD driving it.

JulieBrown
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:59 AM

The cool thing about homeschooling is that my kids are SOOO far ahead of her other grand kids, so she doesn't bother us.  :-) 

Chastity512
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Do we have the same MIL? Wow! So I'm not alone!
We do everything wrong in her eyes! From when we got married, had children, to every decision we've made and didn't take her advice on!
But her daughter does everything right! And we get compared to her daughter and husband all of the time!

I've finally come to the conclusion she is a narcissist and she will never change who she is and how he acts! She will never accept anything we chose to do even though it betters her grandchildren! It's a sad sad life she lives.

Quoting PeaceChild:

MIL has always had some sort of issue with things I do, always questioning why I do this or that, and why don't I do things HER way..she gets pissy if she doesn't get her own way....too f---in bad~

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 5, 2012 at 8:33 AM
My inlaws voiced how crazy and overprotective they thought i was when we first started. I got around them by saying we were just planning on trying it for 1 year - even though i fully intended to never stop. Now they praise our efforts and think it is so helpful they thought of HS! Lol....but at least they are supportive now!
MrsSamMerlotte
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:37 AM
I've been considering not telling my in-laws.

Quoting 5BMom:

My ex-inlaws still don't know. My ex and I are too afraid to tell them...then again, the kids and I have not seen them in a year next month. Its NOT a good relationship.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceChild
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I've come to the conclusion that my MIL is a narcissist as well, as she seems to fit that to a T.  Yeah, and she has her favorites too, a little clique, or a minion of followers....so pathetic.

Quoting Chastity512:

Do we have the same MIL? Wow! So I'm not alone!
We do everything wrong in her eyes! From when we got married, had children, to every decision we've made and didn't take her advice on!
But her daughter does everything right! And we get compared to her daughter and husband all of the time!

I've finally come to the conclusion she is a narcissist and she will never change who she is and how he acts! She will never accept anything we chose to do even though it betters her grandchildren! It's a sad sad life she lives.

Quoting PeaceChild:

MIL has always had some sort of issue with things I do, always questioning why I do this or that, and why don't I do things HER way..she gets pissy if she doesn't get her own way....too f---in bad~

StrictMomof2
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

My fil seems to be against it, but my mil says she supports it and then in the same breath tries to push to get them in yet another school in our local area (where we have to drive almost 30 minutes one way to take them to school.) Hubby and I have made it clear we are going to continue to home school as long as it's an option!!

lucsch
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Lucky me, I guess. We live 800 miles from my dh's parents, see them once a year, talk to them maybe 3 times in between. I have no idea what they think about it! LOL! We are in our 5th year, too. You would think I would know. My FIL is a bit outspoken, so I think he would say something...

I do know that my parents have been won over. They thought I was totally nuts at first. Now, they brag to everyone how great homeschooling is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)