Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

In laws opposing your homeschooling...

Posted by   + Show Post

your takes and/or experiences on this?

by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
luvinhs
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

My inlaws hate it, but they hate everything we do any way, unless we do something that THEY suggest.  My mil hates my guts, but tries to pretend she doesn't.  She thinks that the only reason we homeschool is because I"m an over protective control freak, and that my husband would never choose to homeschool our kids himself, that he only agreed to it because I have him so "henpecked".   But, our kids are way ahead of my neices and nephews not only academically, but also in social development and maturity, so my inlaws can just get over it. 

My parents and one sister are very, very supportive.  My sister even allowed our Mom to homeschool her son.  My other sister, who works as a paraprofessional in the public school system ( like a teachers aide) doesn't really approve.  It's weird.  She won't really openly say that she disapproves, but there's kind of an "undercurrent" there, if that makes any sense.  I don't worry about what she thinks.  We are doing what is best for our family, period.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

LOL Your MIL and my brother think the exact same way. 8) Right down to him believing Hubby is henpecked. LOL If Rob was henpecked, I wouldn't have to clean up her darn clothes in the bathroom!!

Quoting luvinhs:

My inlaws hate it, but they hate everything we do any way, unless we do something that THEY suggest.  My mil hates my guts, but tries to pretend she doesn't.  She thinks that the only reason we homeschool is because I"m an over protective control freak, and that my husband would never choose to homeschool our kids himself, that he only agreed to it because I have him so "henpecked".   But, our kids are way ahead of my neices and nephews not only academically, but also in social development and maturity, so my inlaws can just get over it. 

My parents and one sister are very, very supportive.  My sister even allowed our Mom to homeschool her son.  My other sister, who works as a paraprofessional in the public school system ( like a teachers aide) doesn't really approve.  It's weird.  She won't really openly say that she disapproves, but there's kind of an "undercurrent" there, if that makes any sense.  I don't worry about what she thinks.  We are doing what is best for our family, period.

MrsSamMerlotte
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Lol ahhh the in-laws... they are a treat. My mil suggested to dh that I was breastfeeding because I was selfish and wanted to keep the baby to myself. So I can only imagine how she would react if I told her about hsing.

Quoting luvinhs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My in-laws are very supportive of our homeschooling.

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on May. 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My family is against it and they always talking about my kids won't get socialize, I get so tired of explaining myself ,so I just ignore them because it doesn't matter what I say , they still are against homeschooling and I can care less, because it's up to me and hubby, so they can keep there negative comments.

thatgirl70
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I worry about them, to the point that I haven't wanted to say anything about it to them. I know it's not something that they are not very supportive of (just from listening to them talk about a distant family member doing it). But DH says he will tell them and says they will just have to learn to deal with it. Well it's on him, not on me.

VincyntsMommie
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Both mine and my hubby's mom do this!

Quoting PeaceChild:

MIL has a shit fit no matter what I do, has always questioned everything me and my husband do, so I don't care anymore.

MrsHubler
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

My in laws do not like me; so I dont care what they think...

gacgbaker
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:54 AM

We are still looking into this as a possibility, but I know if we decide to do it, we are going to get some serious backlash about it- I will definitely need to be prepared.  

edelweiss23
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:02 AM
No point in telling my MIL. She is a 72 year old windbag who bad mouthes her own son. She has seen our son once, and her Step granddaughters once. We don't have much contact because of how she treats my husband. He calls her once a month or so, but nothing else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN