Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is this even possible? Advice (several questions)

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM
  • 14 Replies
I am certain I want to HS my children beginning late August. However, I will be HSing a 3 yr old (Pre-k), a 5 yr old (repeating K), and a 7 yr old (2nd grader). I also have a newborn at home!
*Is this possible with time management? Do I have enough hours in the day? Have I set my kids up for failure? I'm so nervous about all of the above!
*How much time do you spend daily HSing?

*my 5 year old will be repeating Kindergarten, even though his school (private school - Abeka program) is passing him to move on to 1st, We don't feel he is ready. He's really struggling with phonics/reading. Should we repeat K with him, or advance him to 1st grade while HSing? What are your thoughts on this? Is there a wonderful curriculum out there that focuses on reading/phonics that you'd recommend?
Thank you in advance for reading and advice....much needed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM
3 moms liked this
My advice is to combine as many lessons as possible. Plan some activity for the youngest while working one-one w/ the oldst. We signed up for www.time4learning.com for our kids under 3 rd grade. This way one could be working independantly on the computer while i focused on different stuff with the other. It is totally possible. I think it is easier to HS multiple kids than it is to do an only child. For the youngest i highly recommend (on top of T4L) www.letteroftheweek.com

We are here for ya!
Shannon
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM
4 moms liked this

I homeschool my 10 yo, 7 yo, 2yo, and 8month old. It can be done. 8) You have to remember that homeschooling IS NOT like a public school. Your lessons happen a little more organically. I would spend the summer planning out Unit Studies. I teach the kids with these.

Also, I would move your son up, if he is ready everywhere else. Grades, to a homeschooler, mean little except gives you a general idea of what sports team to put your kid on. Reading is not something that they will suddenly just *know*. It takes several years to build a sight word vocabulary. No use holding him up, when he will come into his own with it. My son has been working on it since K and suddenly it just clicked this past year. Last year, it was like pulling teeth, trying to teach him how to do it. His brain just wasn't ready.

swim-mom72
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

GREAT advice so far!

Reading is a tricky beast. There is no norm...really. Like Mem said, it will click for him. Abeka is a pretty solid language and reading program. Their phonics and reading is one of the best IMO. So, if the private school advanced him, he has enough skills to be considered 1st grade. Just do A LOT of review and move at a slower pace.

And, like KickButt said, combine the 2 oldest. Do almost all of their subjects together except math and reading. Heart of Dakota and My Father's World seem to be 2 of the most popular curricula for combining multiple ages. I have not used either because mine were older when we took them out of ps. There are other curricula for combining, like Sonlight, but it is heavy on reading and you may be left feeling overwhelmed with the amount of work they suggest.

There is a great book by Cathy Duffy that was very instumental in helping me figure things out my first year of homeschooling, it is called 100 Top Picks for Homeschooling. She also has a website with a lot of the info on it, but having the book in my hand seemed more helpful to me.

Good luck! And you CAN do it : )

Chastity512
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM
All of your advice is wonderful! Thank you all do much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chastity512
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM
*so
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

No problem! The first year is always the scariest, but you are going to do great!

lucsch
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this

Lots of other moms homeschool multiple children. I agree to combine them as much as possible, except in the 3Rs, where they will need to learn at their own pace. I'd let your 3yo tag along and do some fun hands-on art projects, when appropriate. A 3yo's job is to learn through discovery and play. I did not start my dd until she was 4-1/2yo. Some would say that is too young! Growing up and schooling is not a race. Learning requires maturity and readiness.

Don't worry so much about what grade your child is in. When asked, just say the grade according age. Isn't a 5yo really just the age for K5? He would not be able to be a 1st grader in our state. Age 6/7 is the 1st grade.

Just teach whatever the child needs. If he needs more time to learn to read, that is absolutely FINE. He is not behind. That's the beauty of homeschool. If he has trouble reading, he can spend more time on it. If he loves another subject, like math, he can move ahead. It is perfectly fine.

Jeremmy
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, mil homeschooled 10 kids, so its definitely possible! Pre-k is mostly fun work and can even be combined with K. Teach them both at the same time, but just have the K-er do the actual writing and practicing. Youll be surprised by how much the pre-K one will learn just by listening and watching.

I think you should stop focusing on grades and just focus on learning. Teach to the K childs level and beyond and dont worry about it actually being K or 1 or whatever. It might be part K, part 1.

I have one that is just finishing up K and we spend about 1.5-2 hours. Most of it is reading. 10-30 mins is writing (math and english/writing/spelling).

calimom1123
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I would move your ds up. We use abeka and I taught abeka k in a christian school. 1st grade is a big review of k with some new things toward the end. If he still struggles after 1st you can hold him. Remember abeka is ahead of alot of curriculums,so he might not technically be behind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcangel63
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I homeschool a 13, 10, 8, 5, 3, 2, and 10 month old. I include my youngest ones because I "school" them as well.

Online programs are awesome. Many are free. I use a pay course called Acellus for my oldest 3. My 5 year old will be doing it soon. You can incorporate homeschooling into all kinds of things. A day at the zoo, cooking, Scrabble, art time together, etc.

You don't have to do 8 hours of school either. We do about 2-3 hours a day of schooling. I avoid the "classroom" setting at home. This is one reason I homeschool. I want it to be fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN