Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is this even possible? Advice (several questions)

Posted by   + Show Post
I am certain I want to HS my children beginning late August. However, I will be HSing a 3 yr old (Pre-k), a 5 yr old (repeating K), and a 7 yr old (2nd grader). I also have a newborn at home!
*Is this possible with time management? Do I have enough hours in the day? Have I set my kids up for failure? I'm so nervous about all of the above!
*How much time do you spend daily HSing?

*my 5 year old will be repeating Kindergarten, even though his school (private school - Abeka program) is passing him to move on to 1st, We don't feel he is ready. He's really struggling with phonics/reading. Should we repeat K with him, or advance him to 1st grade while HSing? What are your thoughts on this? Is there a wonderful curriculum out there that focuses on reading/phonics that you'd recommend?
Thank you in advance for reading and advice....much needed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Replies (11-14):
romacox
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Chastity512.  My children are now grown but I still tutor, do workshops at home school conventions, and workshops for teachers at local colleges.  My specialty is reading, and I am very good at helping children learn to read that are struggling.  

Nine times out of ten if a child knows their phonic sounds, but is having trouble blending them to form words, the following video clears that up very easily:

If he is having trouble learning phonics: Studies show that children learn best when their body, brain and senses are involved in the learning process.  This is especially true for the "hands on learners"  So I use the game/ curriculum  called Ring Around The Phonics  to teach reading, phonics and all my language arts lessons. With this curriculum, you can teach reading to both the 5 year old, and 7 year old even if they are on different levels...much like the old room school house approach.

You will do just fine as a home educator.  I know this because you say you are nervous.  That tells me you care...the rest can be learned.  I get asked many questions like yours, so I put together a free web page to answer the most common questions at the following link: How To Home School

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this

P.S. Home School Conventions are happening now.  It is an opportunity to purchase curriculum at a discount, and have a hands on look (and demonstration), attend workshops, meet and talk to other home educators, and have fun.  To find your State Convention click on this link:  State Home School Associations

Not sure what State you are in, but I will be giving a workshop at the Florida Parent Educators Association in May. .  If you live in Florida, hope to see you there.

Chastity512
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM
2 moms liked this
I appreciate all of the info! I am going to look more into your sites and curriculum suggestions and get to work!
What a great group of people!
Thank you thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StrictMomof2
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

#1 question...Yes, anything is possible if we put our minds to it and do lots of solid hard core organizing of the time we are allotted in a day.

#2 question...You have only set your kids up for failure if you don't stick with a solid hard core pattern of a routine with your kids and your life. That means making a schedule FOR EVERYONE. Assign TASKS for everyone (have them help you choose what they want to do and when.)

#3 question... In our state K is only required to do 20 hours a week (which is NOT a lot in the grand scheme of  a week. 1-8 is only required to do 25 hours a week (which again is not a lot. When they get in higher grades they are required to do more, but since we use Connections Academy, they will be able to do their work independently without me for the most part.

#4 question...I can't tell you what to do with your child, but I can tell you what we did with my 8 year old. We were changing schools last year from one private school to another private school, and the new private school wanted to keep him in 1st grade due to the fact that he was struggling with reading. I refused to agree or believe them, ONLY because I knew he could read, but he was flat out being lazy about it. Kids do have a tendency to want to test us and at times they don't perform for whatever reason to keep from having to stay at a high level. (They want to take the easy route, and if given that chance they will take it.) I choose to tell that school that they would have to retest him again at the beginning of the school year which they agreed to because they really wanted him in their school (which for the cost of it they most definitely did.) Anyways, I put him through a very hard core summer filled with LOTS of reading from books, online programs razkids (not quite sure if that's the right name right this second..drawing a blank) a-z.com, worksheets, and I literally made him read everything in sight from road signs, newspapers, and anything else I could get my hands on regardless where we were. He retook that test at the beginning of the year, and passed it with flying colors and everyone was extremely surprised at the transformation. He now reads for pure pleasure and gets just as excited as I do about going to the library and wants to get as many books as he can. He is now reading to his siblings as something fun to do. Go figure. However, it took us pushing him and showing him that we are not going to let him slack off.

typingCome check out my blog at http://www.tidbitsofexperience.com/. I'd love to have your feedback there.  Also it lets you know more about me and my family. Hope your having a great day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)