Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Virtual Charter Schools - Can I Get Your Opinion?

As my husband and I are thinking about homeschooling our son through his middle school years, we naturally started by looking at virtual charter schools.  But in the back of my mind the thought keeps creeping up, "I would rather do it my way".  I'm reading so much and getting so much information right now that my head is just swimming.  But I'm coming to understand that the virtual charter schools might not be nessecary.  So who out there has had experience with virtual charter schools and with self-made cirriculum?  Please, please, please share with me your experiences and opinions!

by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Replies (11-11):
StrawberryHair
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Sorry I haven't logged on in a while.  I do want to thank everyone for sharing their great advice and experiences.

.Most of what I've seen here is not very supportive of the cyber charter school program.  But my husband and I have decided that this is what we're going to do with our son, for a number of reasons.  

1) Legal compliance.  I've done my research on what subjects are required, how many days and hours are required, and what paperwork needs to be filed with the district.  But we're anticipating a move to another state over the summer.  And being so new to homeschooling, it feels safer to use the K12 program.

2) Accountability.  I suffer from depression and it's one of our biggest concerns as we make plans for homeschooling.  Getting out of bed can be a real challenge some days.  We need that third party that holds us accountable so that we both can be sure to stay on track.  

3) Advanced Cirriculem.  My son is entering the 6th grade and is above average in math and science.  My husband and I both like to think that we are pretty intelligent, but niether of us has a college degree.  As our son accelerates through math and science, he will pass our level of mastery.  I can teach some basic algebra concepts, but we need help with the subject matter beyond that.

I do plan to suplement the K12 program.  I want to take adventage of as many real life learning opportunities as I can.  

Again, thank you all so much for your input!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)