Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Looking into homeschooling my 5 year old. Questions and advice!

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM
  • 12 Replies

We just found out that the school my son is zoned for is not a good school so I am really looking into homeschooling him! My husband and I heard about the K12 program from a friend and we live in Tennessee so we have the Tennessee Virtual Academy available to us. I have been doing some research and I have studied the website trying to get some information. It said that it was tuition free and the k12 curriculum was free with the program. It said parents would be responsible for some materials. Does anyone know what the average cost is for TVA or other similar online schools? 

I have also looked into Aaron Academy. I know several people who have attended that school  and it seems to be pretty good. There are enrollment fees and the book are outrageous, but I am trying to figure out what would work best for us.

If anyone has any info on TVA or would like to give me any advice on getting started, it would really be great! Thanks!

Wife to Johnny..Mommy to Waylen, Wyatt, and Jorgia-Mae

www.living-the-mommy-life.blogspot.com

by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I do not know about K12 or any online schools as I have always done my own (just a mixture of curriculum and making some of my own) but I wanted to congratulate you on the decision to home educate.  You will never, ever regret it.  I have been at it apx 20 yrs so far and fourteen of our fifteen have already graduated from our school.  Down to my last one :-)

SuperM0mmy
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Quoting bren_darlene:

I do not know about K12 or any online schools as I have always done my own (just a mixture of curriculum and making some of my own) but I wanted to congratulate you on the decision to home educate.  You will never, ever regret it.  I have been at it apx 20 yrs so far and fourteen of our fifteen have already graduated from our school.  Down to my last one :-)

Thank You! :) My husband is not so sure about homeschooling..even though he was homeschooled for his 11th and 12th grade year, but I was with him then and I know he didn't do any work! Idk why he isnt that into the idea of me homeschooling. I have tried to talk to him about the good things about homeschooling as opposed to public school and I think its just the social part of school he doesn't want the kids to miss out on. But just knowing the way kids act and talk nowadays..thats one thing I want to keep him away from! Can you please give me some of the reasons you decided to homeschool and the pros and cons (if any) that you have experienced homeschooling?

Wife to Johnny..Mommy to Waylen, Wyatt, and Jorgia-Mae

www.living-the-mommy-life.blogspot.com

isaacsmom3207
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM

SuperMommy~ I am right there with you we have decided to homeschool also and I am torn between the virtual public or doing things on our own. I am so confused on what to do. DH was homeschooled from like 6th up and worries about the social aspect. We have DS in soccer and other activities. Now to decide on Virtual or other??We are in GA and there is 2 Virtual schools K12 and Connections, heard good about both.  our prayers are with  you as you make the decision too...

5BMom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Welcome. I briefly looked at online virtual schools but they just weren't right for our family. I know many families love K12, though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 7:55 PM

For SupperM0mmy & isaacsmom3207,

• Teachers are currently the biggest influx into the home school venue, and one of the reasons they give is they do not like the type of socialization the kids are receiving in public schools these days.  If you get in touch with your State Home School Association, they can usually help you find home school groups/ families near you to have play days, field trips, holiday and graduation ceremonies, lesson co-ops and more to accomplish "socialization". 
  • My children are now all grown, but I still tutor, give workshops at home school conventions, and workshops to teachers at local colleges.  So I get asked lots of questions like yours, and put together a free web page with answers, links and resources to the most common questions at this link How To Home School

That last link talks briefely about Total Physical Response which is teaching by involving the body, brain and senses in the learning process.  Scientific studies show that it is the most effective way to teach children and adults.  Most class rooms (Conventional Method) teach only to the left side of the brain which is the analytical side. 

The analytical side of the Brain uses past experiences, and projects it on the present and future.  So when the teacher is using this method, the student is thinking, when will I ever need this information, this is useless, I would rather be outside playing ext.  So the brain is in two places.

But by physically infolving the student in the learning  process (games , activities like cooking,  real life experiences) one teaches to left and right brain, and the child is more focused on the task at hand because the left brain's objections are silenced.  As a result children (and adults)  learn faster, retain more, and stay enthusiastic about learning.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
We also looked into k12 and decided it wasn't for us. But I think what they mean by the parent providing things is normal household stuff. Printer ink, glue, pencils, paper. They provide computers, printers, all the curriculum and materials you'd need to do projects that aren't normal household items. Our virtual academy also provided a certain amount of money to go towards the Internet.

I'd weigh your options, look into k12 as well as traditional type of homeschooling, and just see what is a better fit. Also, if you try k12 and don't like it, it isn't a contract. You can quit anytime and do traditional homeschooling on your own. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WifeMomStudent
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM
If you're overwhelmed look into a co-op or 2-3 day a week private school, you homeschool the other days but all the material & lessons are laid out for you. It seems a lot less scary then and they still get the interaction (on a more supervised basis)
oredeb
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM

supermom, yes you can use free sites on the web, and you can make up your own curr, i do,

heres some posts with free sites, you will need to go through them!

heres one ive been using lately http://www.kidslearningstation.com/

be sure to check out your homeschool law, http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:55 PM
3 moms liked this

For sure!  Whenever someone asks if I am worried about "socialization" I say "Yes, That is exactly why I DO home educate".  I don't want my children learning their "social skills" from the government schools.

Quoting SuperM0mmy:

Quoting bren_darlene:

Thank You! :) My husband is not so sure about homeschooling..even though he was homeschooled for his 11th and 12th grade year, but I was with him then and I know he didn't do any work! Idk why he isnt that into the idea of me homeschooling. I have tried to talk to him about the good things about homeschooling as opposed to public school and I think its just the social part of school he doesn't want the kids to miss out on. But just knowing the way kids act and talk nowadays..thats one thing I want to keep him away from! Can you please give me some of the reasons you decided to homeschool and the pros and cons (if any) that you have experienced homeschooling?

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

Mrs.Kg8500
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN