Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Abeca?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM
  • 4 Replies
Looking at Abeca homeschool program for my daughter to complete 11 & 12th grades..Anyone have experience with them? Advice? This will be our first time homeschooling.
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
swim-mom72
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

What about Abeka appeals to you or your daughters learning style?

We used it in the elementary years, so my experience is limited. I do know they are designed to be used in a classroom setting. Which means that they seems to have quite a bit more workbook pages and general review work than other publishers. My other thought would be that if your daughter does not already have a strong grasp on writting and grammar skills, like diagramming sentences, then jumping into Abeka for 11th and 12th grade may not be a good fit for her.

Are you wanting her to use the DVD'd or the virtual school or just the textbooks?

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I have used ABeka for going on 20 yrs now.  They have an excellent curriculum.  I didn't use anything except their books. No videos, tests, ect..  Just did my own thing.  I also use a mixture of other things but that has been after yrs of trying things to learn what I liked best and with what subject.   ABeka is  fairly cheap if you just get the books as I did. Don't know about the DVD's.

bnsilly
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I just liked that it had actual video teaching...by DVD I guess..

I am new to this and trying to find something for my daughter's 11th & 12th grades. I learn by visual so just getting the books for me, would not be good. She may be ok with that, but I would prefer seeing the actual teachings..

Can you all suggest some other/better programs?

jgattis
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Check with your local community colleges.  Here in NC, several county community colleges have distance learning programs for homeschooled high school juniors and seniors.  Call your local community college and see if they have a homeschool liason.  The courses completed not only go towards the CC credit but, you can also use them for high school graduation requirements...depending on your state laws.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)