Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

homeschool books for ACE/PACE?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM
  • 9 Replies

hi, i'm new to homeschooling, but i've known since i had my first kid that i wanted to homeschool, esp with almost monthly you hear about some teacher, etc becoming involved w/ a child and i dont trust schools anymore since some want to push politics at a young age but nevermind...anyway i've called around my local area to see what curriculum some school use and then reviewed those curriculums...alot of bad reviews! so i decided to do what my mil did w/ my dh and homeschool my kids with the curriculum that they used..which has alot of good reviews...ACE! now does anyone know of a website or person that is selling Kindergarten and up of the complete packets (every subject for every grade)? i know homeschooling is not cheap so trying to find good deals! and plz NO BASHING!! thanks!!

btw if anyone knows of a good christian-oriented curriculum besides ACE thats good let me know plz. thanks!

by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on May. 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM

http://www.vegsource.com/homeschool/

Check out this link.  It's a swap board for hs supplies.  I have used this before with success.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Some people love ACE.  Ours just didn't.  I have used ABeka for going on 20 yrs now.  They are a very good  christian based curriculum.  I have tried many but came back to ABeka in most subjects.  Have already graduated most of my kids using it  :-)

usmom3
by BJ on May. 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Look on E-bay for used one & try Amazon too!

bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM

We used A.C.E. for the last half of the 3rd grade this year.  I don't know of any place to get it at a discount. 

diapercakemom84
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Quoting bether89:

We used A.C.E. for the last half of the 3rd grade this year.  I don't know of any place to get it at a discount. 

was it really easy? would you recommend to a newbie homeschooler?

DaughterOfEko
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I know this post is old. But as someone who went to a homeschool bassed program the only used ace I would never recommend it to anyone. Too much God not enough education. At the time I was in high school my ten year old brother was learning more then me in public school. They are easy to guess at you dont even have to read them. They give very small paragraphs on things that they have to and make the rest of it all about God. I feel, to this this day, that I wont be able to homeschool my son. Because of the poor education I got from using ace pace books.
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I used some ACE products at a school I went to for a while and blew through a year's worth in about a month. The biggest drawback is that the information is very superficial. You cover a lot, but without depth.

If you're interested in a more academic Christian curriculum, look into Abeka, Bob Jones, Alpha Omega, or others. They provide all kinds of support for moms and cover all subjects.

calimom1123
by Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM
They have updated ace in the past few years and its actually pretty good now. Things change over time. I used ace in high school and learned alot so you never know.

Quoting DaughterOfEko:

I know this post is old. But as someone who went to a homeschool bassed program the only used ace I would never recommend it to anyone. Too much God not enough education. At the time I was in high school my ten year old brother was learning more then me in public school. They are easy to guess at you dont even have to read them. They give very small paragraphs on things that they have to and make the rest of it all about God. I feel, to this this day, that I wont be able to homeschool my son. Because of the poor education I got from using ace pace books.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calimom1123
by Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM
They have updated Ace in the last few years and it is definately on par with some of the other programs. We used abeka k-3 and got bored with it. I found it to be lacking in alot of ways. Ace updated upper level elementary is actually better to me than the rote memorization of abeka. We did bju and its ok but ace is on par with it. People say its too easy but you test kids first then put them ahead exactly where they test.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I used some ACE products at a school I went to for a while and blew through a year's worth in about a month. The biggest drawback is that the information is very superficial. You cover a lot, but without depth.

If you're interested in a more academic Christian curriculum, look into Abeka, Bob Jones, Alpha Omega, or others. They provide all kinds of support for moms and cover all subjects.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)