Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teaching handwriting question

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hi! I have been trying to teach my 4 year how to write. He is a huge perfectionist and gets discouraged if I direct him too much. Like if I remind him to go from top to bottom or to go back up halfway to make the little circle in a b. My question is, should I just let him write the letters how he wants just keep him doing it? I am afraid he is going to develop bad habits.

ETA: He is going to 5 in few months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jgattis
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM

IMHO...let him go.  All children are different and, as long as his writing is legible (based on his age), then let it be.

DS #1 writes all his letters/numbers the way we were all taught in school.

DD #1 writes all her letters/numbers from the bottom up

DS #2 holds his pencil in some sort of death grip (but has the neatest handwriting of all my children)

DD#2 does a mix of DD#1 and DS#1.

However, all 4 of my children's writing is legible for his/her age.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I would let it go for a while. Or get the trace sheets that show the arrows on how to move the pencil. That way, as he traces the letters, it will silently reinforce the way he should make them.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Have you tried handwriting without tears? The pictures show him what way to form the letters, so it isn't just mommy saying "this is how", it's right there in front of him. Also, it makes it into a game. Like a capital F is a line down, frog jump back up, small line across the top, and another in the middle. (something like that,I'm not looking at it). It also has songs, and motions, shows you how to use different mediums, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on May. 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I personally think that is to young to worry about handwriting! If he wants to write let him but don't critique it!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Going back and seeing he is 4 almost 5 I have to agree with this. My dd did learn handwriting techniques in kindergarten, but just started worrying about technique and making it look pretty in first grade. Their fine motor skills are still developing and handwriting will be less than perfect for a while. My dd is a perfectionist also, so I feel your pain! Lol! Handwriting without tears does have pre-level books and the price is affordable. I think it's $7 for the teachers manual and $7 for the student book.

Quoting usmom3:

I personally think that is to young to worry about handwriting! If he wants to write let him but don't critique it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kittyfaery
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am just teaching him a couple of days a week and not forcing him to do it. I just do it when he is interested and I let him stop when he wants to. I just figured getting the basic idea of it down this summer will help his frustration level when I start his kindergarten stuff next year. I will have to check out handwriting without tears.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM

hi kitty, how bout just letting him scribble for a while! teach him how to make round circles all over the page! then lots of straight lines, curves, etc! make it fun! also can do this in sand, in the air(air writing), this will prepare him for handwriting, there is no certain age or time you should teach him, just do it when you feel hes ready, take it slow, make it fun! when he does start with the forming of words, make it people he  personally knows names, kids get very excited when they are learning to writing friends or families names!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN