Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Struggling with math *Update*

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:31 PM
  • 27 Replies

My son is 7 years old. We are using Math U See, Alpha. He isn't struggling with the material necessarily, I know he knows it but he has these complete melt downs when it is time to work on it and just completely shuts down. I am at my wits end. He excels at everything else but for some reason Math just freaks him out.

Any suggestions?

I am thinking about ordering him the Critical Thinking Math Workbooks.

Update: No longer feeling as frustrated! We were at the park yesterday and they have a bucket you throw the ball into and 4 holes for it to fall out of with a number over it and when your ball comes out you score that amount of points. (Hope that made sense).

Anyway. I am watching Alex do this and the entire time he is adding the points up out loud.

Alex's monologue "3+3 is 6, which is the same as 3X2. So, I have 6 points and that went through the 4, so now I have 10 points, oooh two more now I have 12!!!" =D

I was one happy mama!! He KNOWS it, he GETS it and can USE it in every day life. :::Happy dance:::

Now I know how to motivate him. Gotta keep him moving so he can think and absorb at the same time!!

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM

BUMP!

mamaistheword87
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
No suggestions, but I was the same way when I was in school. I was in gifted programming, but couldn't take not "getting it" when it came to the most logical topic of all: math. This stigmatized me all through university despite having done multiple universitry level math courses. I wish my parents had put me in tutoring (depsite having always gotten As). Math is the one subject where rote repition helps enromously and builds confidence.

Do you have Kumon in your area?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Will he do the math if it's in game form? OR instead of a workbook drill, you let him use a dry erase marker and do the work on a window? My son (7) will freak out looking at a whole page, but will do the problems in a different setting. Sometimes, I just say to myself, 'As long as he knows how to do it, who cares?!" LOL

alexsmomaubrys2
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Quoting mem82:

Will he do the math if it's in game form? OR instead of a workbook drill, you let him use a dry erase marker and do the work on a window? My son (7) will freak out looking at a whole page, but will do the problems in a different setting. Sometimes, I just say to myself, 'As long as he knows how to do it, who cares?!" LOL

I agree but it is any math, in any form.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Do you watch the video and teach him, or have him watch the video and do it on his own?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Quoting Boobah:

Do you watch the video and teach him, or have him watch the video and do it on his own?

Watch the video and then we go over it, then they do the practice worksheets.

It is really working with my DD but DS is really struggling.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM
My kids are going to be complete learning style opposites. I keep thinking I can keep my curriculum I use with dd1 to use again with dd2, but they are so different I know I'm going to end up purchasing different ones! Lol!

I'd say either take a break, try something new, or maybe switch up how you do it. Try watching thr video yourself then teaching him yourself without it. I personally thought the video was boring and the manipulatives were to me as well. I really love the colorful workbook and variety of manipulatives that horizons math uses. I can't vouch for it yet, because we haven't started it yet, but we did use the manipulatives with saxon and variety was really important to keep my dd from getting bored and frustrated. That is the main reason we took MUS out of our "possibilities" for 2nd grade.

Good luck mama!

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

We tried Horizons for Kindergarten and we found it really boring. Overly repetitive.

I think we might take a break and start back after the Summer with Critical Thinking Math to use with our Math U See.

Thanks.

Quoting Boobah:

My kids are going to be complete learning style opposites. I keep thinking I can keep my curriculum I use with dd1 to use again with dd2, but they are so different I know I'm going to end up purchasing different ones! Lol!

I'd say either take a break, try something new, or maybe switch up how you do it. Try watching thr video yourself then teaching him yourself without it. I personally thought the video was boring and the manipulatives were to me as well. I really love the colorful workbook and variety of manipulatives that horizons math uses. I can't vouch for it yet, because we haven't started it yet, but we did use the manipulatives with saxon and variety was really important to keep my dd from getting bored and frustrated. That is the main reason we took MUS out of our "possibilities" for 2nd grade.

Good luck mama!

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting Boobah:

usmom3
by BJ on May. 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Have you asked him why he doesn't like to do math? Maybe he just isn't ready for it yet! Just because he is 7 & the curriculum say this age should be doing some specific thing dose not mean he is ready for it!

alexsmomaubrys2
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Have you asked him why he doesn't like to do math? Maybe he just isn't ready for it yet! Just because he is 7 & the curriculum say this age should be doing some specific thing dose not mean he is ready for it!

This is where my husband and I disagree. My husband is a math genius, I mean this literally and can get really frustrated with Alex if he doesn't seem to be on track.

I really think we are going to take the Summer off, we had intended to homeschool year round and start back up again in the fall and see where he is then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)