Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learning activities for a one-year old?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hey I'm new here, and I have a one year old son...what kind of learning activities can I start him on?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sreichelt26
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM

play-based learning is all you need to worry about at this age. simply exploring the world around him is educational.

bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM

For a one year old, just play and talk to him about all the things you see around you.

Meenaxi
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Thanks guys!

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!

At that age, just talking to them about what's going on, is teaching them. Some moms don't realize that they should have conversations with their little babies to keep them stimulated. The bad side effect to this is I think out loud all the time now. If I don't have one of my kids with me at the store, I look nuts! LOL

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 7, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Talk about everything! "this is mommy's shirt! My shirt is blue!" etc. then describe everything you do. Talk about colors, count everything, give him/her access to lots of books knowing they will probably end up with teeth marks, so make them board books.

Make sure you are letting them in on the conversation! My niece is super far behind in language (she says 7 words at 27 months) because her mom talks constantly and never talks WITH her. So listen to your baby, even if they aren't saying any real words, wait and then reply.

Show them things, like an apple for example. Put it near your face/mouth and say the word "apple". That way they can see the object, and see you are calling it something.

Give the lots of room to explore. My kids LOVED couch cushions on the floor to climb over, under (if you stand them up and put a blanket over them - instant fort!) and plenty of opportunities to get messy. :) paint, mud, rain, sand
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on May. 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Take him to the store & let him touch the different fruit & vegetables & describe them to him like a kiwi is fuzzy & a pineapple is prickly & stuff like that. I also agree with all the other suggestions!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 7, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Check out one of my early blog posts where i listed some of the things i did with my then toddlers-

http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/2009/06/teaching-pre-preschool-kids.html
kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 7, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Hi!  Welcome.  :)  

If you play with him using words that are familiar to him on a consistent basis, he should pick up a lot that way.  You know, get a game he likes to play and say the names of of the objects repeatedly, slowly.  You can actually do this with anything. For instance, you can get a ball and sit in the floor and push it slowly back and forth saying ball every so often.  Before you know it, he will have picked up not only that word, but other words just because you made words interesting to know.   As long as you make it fun and interesting, he will see the same thing.    At his age, whatever mom finds interesting, baby usually does too.                                                                                                          :) 

wolvesfire
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Reading Rabbit if you have MAC computer. (Which upsets me as I used to live that game).  Jump Start.  ABC Mouse ($75.99 a month or something like that) for 2-6 years olds.  Leap Start/Leap Pad maybe.  V-Tec when it gets to be 2.  Play is pretty much all that is needed from birth up until 5 years old. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)