Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Younger kids while schooling older child...

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM
  • 8 Replies
So, I'll have a first grader that will need me lots still while teaching, learning, working, etc.

I have a (will be) 3 1/2 year old DS. I'm not doing anything formal with him, but do what to do basics...letters, possibly sounds, colors, shapes, numbers etc.

Does anyone buy a curriculum for this age or just little fun workbooks here and there?

Thx!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Check out Letteroftheweek.com and Starfall.com 8)

Good luck!

RatherBeReading
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Ditto on what previous poster said, plus I subscribe to www.abcmouse.com for my 4 year old. It has work for Pre-K and K and she loves it.  It also has a ton of printables that I use for when she wants to join in at the school table with us. :)

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:09 AM

You can buy a curriculum if you like.  But the conventional method (workbooks, flash cards, ext) teaches to the left brain only.  So it reaches only 40 to 45 percent of the population.  But scientific studies show that if one teaches to the left and right brain, children learn faster, retain more, and ,more importantly,: retain their love for learning. Total Physical Response (TPR)

This method teaches to the whole brain by involving the body, brain and senses in the learning process.  In other words, you can teach your PK student through play, and real life experiences...no curriculum needed.  This article explains more

How To Teach The Pre K Student

There is curriculum that teaches left and right brain (Ring Around The Phonics for language arts, and Math U See for math), but I normally recommend them for K students.

But try both methods if you like, and see which works for you.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM
I would often set up my toddler with pbskids or time4learning while i was working with the oldest. You don't need to do more than an hour or two of formal school with the oldest, and it can be broken down into smaller class times. I would also often pop in a leap frog movie like Letter Factory for my youngest.
aidensmommy0727
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Can you tell me if I need to set up different accounts for my 2 kids or do I just pay one fee for the two of them?
Sorry to be more specific.... As per the abcmouse.com do I need separate accounts for my kids or can they share one?

~Angelica

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting aidensmommy0727:

Can you tell me if I need to set up different accounts for my 2 kids or do I just pay one fee for the two of them?
Sorry to be more specific.... As per the abcmouse.com do I need separate accounts for my kids or can they share one?

I never did the 2 seperate accts, because my kids are close in age like your own. So they learned the same things, just ne learned faster. Oce you do a lesson it doesn't disappear, so the other child can do it. This is for time4learning. We never did abcmouse...
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting aidensmommy0727:

They share one, up to 3 kids I think.  All 3 of mine share the one account although the oldest is ready to drop off.

bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I have a 3.4 year old and an 8 year old.  I am not buying a curriculum for pre-school.  I plan to do a letter each week and buy workbooks at the Dollar Tree for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)