Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hello I am new here and starting homeschooling very soon

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hello. I am a mom here in Albuquerque. I recently moved from Dallas. My daughter is 4, son is 2  and my baby is 7 months. My daughter will not be turning 5 til next year, and she is probably gonna start kindergarten in the fall this year because she has learned so much already I think she's ready for kinder. I am very new to this although I have quite a few friends who homeschool. It is something I have always wanted to do, and now that we moved back to Abq. my husband really wants us to homeschool. The public schools here are horrible. But it reallhy is more our values we want to instruct them in. I know they will not be sheltered from everything, nor do I want them to be. I just want things to be learned on our terms when we think they are ready not some snotty 2nd grader. LOL I could use all the help I can get. I have no idea where to start with curriculum. Right now I am going to be starting up calender time, and she has a workbook for reading and math. It really great. She knows her ABC's, letter sounds, and how to write all her letters. She isn't perfect, but she picks things up really quickly. I know she is ready to start phonics I just don't even know where to begin. So anyways hello and thanks for any advice.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
romacox
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 5:54 AM

My children are now grown, but I still tutor, give workshops at home school conventions. and workshops to teachers at local colleges.  I get asked a lot of questions like yours, and put together a free web page with most of the common questions at the following   link: How To Home School.

P.S. My specialty is phonics and reading. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 8, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Welcome! I'm Shannon and i hs my 2 boys. We really enjoyed time4learning.com and letteroftheweek.com when my kids were young. I also suggest searching yahoogroups for a group or co-operative in your area.
usmom3
by BJ on May. 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! I was just in Albuquerque 2 weeks ago! You have some amazing museums, zoo & botanical gardens with the aquarium. If I lived there I would get a membership with all of the museums & the Biopark & use them every month to help educate my kids! If you haven't yet you need to learn the laws for your state & then figure out your children's learning style! Knowing the learning style is very important when it comes to figuring out how to help them learn the things you want them to learn!

3weesmom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Thanks ladies!!! I will look those websites up. We are actually going to by a membership this week. We had one in Dallas and it was sooooo worth every penny.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
5BMom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Hi!!! I am homeschooling almost 4 and almost 5 year olds. My oldest is reading really well. He really grasped the concept using Explode the Code and Starfall. Once he got reading, we moved to Queens Language Lessons and he is flourishing. My younger will start Queen in the Fall.

We are using Oak Meadow as our core (science, litetature, art, handwork, activities, health, and social studies, and doing our own LA (Queen) and math (Singapore and Life of Fred).

Every family is different, though...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmomof10
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:17 AM

"Teach your child to read in 100 Easy Lessons " is a great phonics/ reading tool.

oredeb
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM

sounds like you have a good start with her now, at this age, keep doing what you are doing, be sure to check the hs law for new mex, she what age is required to start schooling, etc, in some states its 6 or 7,

do lots of hands on stuff, games, memorization(good time to start that at this age) teach math with manipulatives so she can see that 1 equals 1 thing, the number 2 equals 2 items etc. do lots of arts and crafts, that really helps them with handwriting, read to her and them a lot, play!!! have fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)