Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hello, I'm new

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM
  • 4 Replies
And lately the thought of sending my son to school scares me. Like right now researching home schooling I'm getting all emotional n scared. Schools are not like they use to be and kids sure aren't like they use to be either. School just seems to be a scary place to send my child! So I started researching home schooling. I've seen this commercial on tv about mnva (minnesota virtual academy) its like online school for kids k-12. It's free tuition n it seems to be the way to go. That way every day is already set up and teachers are there if we need help and they even schedule field trips! Does anyone use this type of homeschooling? My son is going to kindergarten this fall but not if I decide to homeschool. I also have a almost 3 yr old and 4 mth old. I am a SAHM and babysit twin 15 mth olds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 8, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Welcome to the group! That online school is a virtual public school, so you would still have to do all the standardised test & state required curriculum. But if you are OK with that then it might be the thing for you! If you aren't then you need to look up the homeschool laws for your state & see what is required of you!

mrscrumley
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Hi! Just wanted to quickly post that our family uses the Georgia Cyber Academy option for our child. We did K and 1st, and plan on sticking with it through 2nd. Like MNVA, GCA uses the K12 curriculum, which we like. I appreciate having a teacher to lean on if we need it (and she isn't in my face all the time, which I appreciate). We have found it really flexible to the point where we go to a co-op once a week for extra curricular topics and that "socialization" everyone is always worried homeschoolers will be without. Each state has different requirements, so you might want to check if MNVA has meet and greets anywhere close so you can ask questions and get tuned in.

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 6:24 AM

My children are all grown, but I still tutor,  give workshops at home school conventions, and workshops to teachers.  Many new to home education start out clinging to the Conventional method like you mention because they are afraid they will miss something if they venture into unfamiliar territory.  $40 to 45% of the time it works  out. But if it does not match the child's learning style, it creates the same problems that the children experience in the public school system.  This article explains more that should help you decide: How To Home School

oredeb
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM

sometimes its a good idea to start hsing with a program like that, it will give you an idea of how things work , wht you dont like and time to look through homeschooling books etc., after the first year a lot of moms start choosing and making up there own curr. from the many homeschool resources there are.

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/

be sure to check your homeschool law to see what you need to do , also check how old your child needs to be when you start schooling them  http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN