Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What to use? Where to begin?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

I feel like this has probably been addressed but I can't find it...

I'm looking into curriculum for next year, which will be our first real homeschool year.   I'll have a third grader and a kindergartener.   I keep hearing about abeka and saxon math but it's so darn expensive that I'm reluctant to order it, having never seen it! 

What's everyone opinions?  I like the idea of structure for next year because I'm having a new baby in August and I think I'll do better with a clear cut expectation, and maybe after we settle into homeschool and the new baby I will venture out.

I live near Indianapolis and have heard of a curriculum exchange or sale, but can't find it.  So if anyone knows of one, please send me any info.

Thanks so much!!!

Have a blessed day!!

by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wolvesfire
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I found a neat webite last night: http://www.kidsknowit.com/free-educational-worksheets/worksheets.php?worksheet=Astronomy&worksheetTopic=astronomy

It has an astronomy website, dinosaur website, history website (with world history textbook), worksheets, games, music, videos. 

jgattis
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I used Abeka when I first started and really liked the structure of the parent manuals.  It really helped me to create a good learning plan for multiple students.

Now that I feel like I've got a good grasp on what my children need (based on our lifestyle and their learning styles), I have switched to Robinson.

However, I really liked Abeka to help keep me on track those first few years.  For my experience, well worth my $$$.

5AkerWood
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I am not familiar with abeka for the older kids, but YEARS ago, I taught Pre-k and we used Abeka there. It was fabulous.

As far as the math, I will just say this. We recently withdrew my son from a pvt school that was using Saxon math. The program we started with uses Horizon math. And we've signed him up to use IXL.com for math as well. We discovered through both sources, that there is so much he should already know and doesn't. I don't know if it is because of the Saxon math or if the teacher just wasn't moving quickly enough through it. But I am very disappointed to learn after paying exorbinant pvt school tuition that he is behind. And we have two other friends who have pulled their kids out of the same school, same grade and have discovered the same thing with their kids. So I'm not so sold on Saxon as a lot of other people are.

oredeb
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM

abeka is a good christian curr, it will keep you on track! and saxon math, ive used it for the last 20 years to teach the kids, try to order used, will be much cheaper, on whatever curr you decide to buy.

another good program is christian liberty and rod and staff

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Sometimes you can find the same curriculum from these companies for less on Amazon (New and Used). Check out some possibilities at this link:  How To Home School (look under the Conventional Method towards the top)

MommyLisa
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Thanks for all the advice!  I'm trying to calm down and realize that this isn't the emergency I'm making it out to be!  I'm so new to homeschooling and now I'm adding a newborn, and an additional child to homeschool!  I just worry, like every other parent, that I'll mess it up!

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM

BUMP!

gratefulgal
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

We have a K'er and a 2 1/2 yr.old. Tricky to balance as well because the younger one is not ready for pre-k just yet (beyond letters and numbers). We use Horizons (used them for Pre-k and really liked them) for K (the whole shebang, but you don't really need the PE just yet). They are advanced, structured, and cheap, especially for the money. One thing I ran into with K was that there was very little (affordable) curriculum that covered Science, geography and history, art and music, etc. It was all just the 3 r's and health. But then once you realize what a challenge it is just getting THAT into them, you chill out on the rest.

It took me a long time to learn that just because they know their ABC's at 1, doesn't mean they will  read at 2 and write books at 3. Sounds funny, but I have been in that nervous boat of hunting down affordable curriculum and getting it all wrong. You'll be okay, though. Hang in there!

IntlMom12
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

We are contemplating using either Accelerated Christian Education or My Father's World for our Kindergartner this fall. MFW also had some good preschool curriculum that we also bought for my 4-year-old and daycare kids so they could have "school" while my 5-yo does.

IntlMom12
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I should also add that my daycare kids are ages 2-4 right now and I'll have 5 kids for school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)