Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is one thing you would like to work on next year?

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:32 AM
  • 8 Replies

Something I thought we would be better at this year is that I thought my 3 yo would be a bit better behaved.  She is a pretty good kid, but man is she defiant.  I also thought she would get better at playing independently so I could get work done with my older daughter.  Nope.  

I'd also like to work on the arguing between the girls.  It does not matter how many discussions we have about this, it doesn't end and I am going INSANE.  

by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
swim-mom72
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I did respond about this in the other post where you mentioned this issue. But I want to add some insight that changed my world with my two boys, one who is a compliant child and one who is defiant. More often than not, the arguing and insanity in our life was due to my reaction to the behavior of my younger son. What I mean to say is, that my perception of how he "should" behave was tainting my response to who he was as a person. He was/is soooo different from me and from my older son, that I was thinking something may be wrong with him, like "How come he keeps doing THAT?!!" or "Why can't he just stop that?!!" He was just being himself and I was wanting more compliance. Really, in my heart, I was kinda wanting him to be more like his older brother who was very compliant. So, I finally understood that I was more the problem. And yes, that was a hard pill to swallow, because I am darn near perfect, LOL! NOT!

So, once I began to parent them differently things began to improve. They were/are different people right? So they need different things from me. I am not trying to tell you how to parent your children, but just what worked for me. Be patient, no, be VERY patient : ) You will figure this out, I'm sure of it.

katzmeow726
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Counting definitely...although we focus on that daily n e way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on May. 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Life skills for all of the kids!

Knightquester
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I'd like to walk through a tour of this Japanese school that's half an hour from us, but I keep putting it on the back burner.  They aren't a year round school so I need to do it or I'll loose my chance to incorporate that into next year.  If I like the place I'd like the kids to pick up more Japanese and learn more about their culture, it's a goal to someday take a family trip to Japan.

Saraho5
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Organization & preparation!

I'm just unorganized by nature. With a 3 1/2 & 1 1/2 year old wanting in on all the schooling action, I've gotta be prepared!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Their are several things. This year was a transition year for us.

1. I need to break our negative discipline cycle with Cole. I need to write down a game plan on how to work with him, so we aren't spending all of our time at loggerheads. If I write it down, it's easier to fall back on than just yelling/crying/threatening/ ignoring.

2. I need to get us back on a firm schedule. All the kids NEED a defined schedule. Not an inflexible one, but more than what we have.

3. I want to work more on writing with Missie.

4. I am thinking of adding some guided play for Theo, so he feels less at loose  ends.

swim-mom72
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Life skills for us too!

Since my boys will be 15 and 12 in July, this is an important area for us. Here are some things I will incorporate into our daily life: budgeting, weekly meal planning, making one meal a week for the whole family, car care, doing laundry from beginning to end...from sorting to washing to drying to folding and then putting it away (right now I only make them bring it down stairs and then put it away when it is done).

srichtermom
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

This coming fall will be our first time homeschooling so I'm not 100% sure what one thing we want to do but I do have a few ideas:

1.  Work specifically on multiplication and division with my daughter; the public school definitely did her a disservice in the area of math.

2.  She wants to learn more cooking, so we are going to try cooking one new meal together per week.

3.  Work on pre-reading skills with my 4 year old and continue working on his printing.

4.  Get outside!!  I'm so excited to get to do learning out in nature and on field trips with the kids that my goal is to do a field trip once a week.

Other than that, we are hoping for a smooth transition from public school to homeschooling and are so excited!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN